1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DIY Gigabyte

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamsum, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamsum

jamsum Thread Starter

Gigabyte GA K8N Ultra, NVIDIA nForce RAID class controller
    This is an early Gig 64 board, socket 939, with 8 sata connectors for raid configuration, 4 Silicon, 4 NVIDIA.

I have built this DIY system w/ 2 sata drives (300mbs each) using W XP 64. I tried to configure it with the nvidia raid connectors on the board and the software to copy to floppy and configure during OS insallation, but during the final boot sequence in OS istallation, it would just stop, no error screen to get a clue from. I reconfigured it to run under Silicon Image SiI 3114 SoftRaid 5 controller, and the system works just fine (150 mbs each drive, configured for raid 0).

I would like to have full use of this boards capabilities (to be able to connect drives to the nvidia ports), but device manager is throwing up a flag that the nvidia raid controller is not configured properly... there is a "New Software Found" message every time the system boots, and auto configuration thru Windows doesn't fix anything.

I have tried downloading drivers from the Gigabyte site and updating the driver through Windows, but nothing seems to work. Plussss... I cannot find the exact model number match on the Gigabyte website......

Any clues on how to address this yellow flag problem?...

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you download the NVidia drivers and run the setup it will create a set of folders on your C:\ drive. If you go to C:\15.23_nforce_winxp64_international_whql\IDE\Win64\sataraid you'll see all the files you need to copy to the floppy disk. These are the latest official NVIDIA drivers for the NForce4. The try the install again with those files.

4. jamsum

jamsum Thread Starter

The model # is GA-K8N-SLI

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

It might be that the your connections on the board are wrong? SATA connections and raid connections.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. jamsum

jamsum Thread Starter

I haven't yet tried all the help links, only a few, thanks for the input. This board is like a crossword puzzle.. It reminds me of W98 confusion- works great when ya finally get it right, but until then...

8. jamsum

jamsum Thread Starter

I have one nagging little procedural question: once I download to the floppy, can I go back into a system that is already set up and working with the Silicon 5 raid setup, get windows setup going on the system, and install the driver into a working system?? What am I missing here?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    On a working system you can simply run the NVidia NForce4 Chipset driver which is also found on the Gigabyte site or use the driver I linked to from the NVidia site in my first post.

10. jamsum

jamsum Thread Starter

There is never enough appreciation in this world for the smorgasbord that is life filled with good people.

I am working at this problem slowly. It may be awhile before it gets solved, and yes, I have tried all the links supplied by you and others, it's probably pilot error at this point, but the system is still flying, and amazingly fast as is. I haven't loaded it with too much yet, but it is still as fast, if not faster, than the other 15 or so systems I have built, mostly w/ XP (32), W2k, and about 3 w/ XP64, the other 2 of which have no problems...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice