1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DL speed capped at 10mbps, how to raise to 100?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kierstal, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kierstal

Kierstal Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4060 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 426837 MB, Free - 258482 MB; D: Total - 49998 MB, Free - 49015 MB; G: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 175903 MB; J: Total - 12071 MB, Free - 7763 MB; T: Total - 102397 MB, Free - 64670 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, Z77H2-A3

I have been paying Time Warner Cable for 50mbps download, but have been getting just under 10mbps for quite some time (ethernet, NOT wireless, we have no wireless-capable devices) After hours on the phone with Tier 3 tech support, two visits from technicians, a replaced modem and countless hours googling, I am at my wits end.

When I go into the Task Manager and look at Networking, it shows the Link Speed at 10 Mbps.
    I have gone into my network adapter settings and set the Speed/Duplex to 100mbps Full, as the TWC rep said.
    Also switched cables, powercycled, rebooted the PC, etc.
    Google searches suggest going into the router settings and raising the cap through there, but I can't find the proper setting for my device (Motorola SURFboard SBG6580) if they even exist at all.

The information I was able to find is that it's using slightly outdated firmware ( SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-09-058-NOSH ) and that that could be causing the problem. But this whole thing has given me a giant headache and I just want someone to tell me how I can raise the speed cap so I can get the 50 Mbps I'm paying for - or if it's even possible.

I'd be happy to provide any information needed, but I'm hoping there's just a setting somewhere I can click on and this whole thing was just an oversight of the "d'oh, how could I have missed that" variety.

2. bill222

bill222

When you look at the link speed in networking, the 10 Mbps it shows you is referring to the connection from your computer to the modem through a cat5 cable.

Both your motherboard and the modem are supposed to support a gigbit connection. Most gigabit connections have LEDs at the socket indicating the speed of the connection. Did you look at yours? Does it have LEDs lit to say you have a high-speed connection?

The modem might have a setting for the intended upload/download speeds, but those settings are controlled by the ISP and are not related to the LAN speed.

The LAN speed is generally established by a hardware negotiation between the connected devices, and I can't think of a reason you should set it to a specific value rather than "Auto Negotiation".

Make sure you have a good quality cat5e cable. Try plugging to another socket on the modem, and on your board if there is more than one choice.

3. Kierstal

Kierstal Thread Starter

Yeah, the TWC rep was screwing with me when he made me go through all that crap to try to change the Link Speed. Hate.

Tried everything you said multiple times, good cable, different socket, etc.

So all that's left is a compatibility issue between the device and my PC. Googling that now.

4. bill222

bill222

Since you have tried a different modem and cable, I would get a cheap LAN card and try using that... there should be no compatibility issues these days, wired ethernet is pretty much plug and play. The LAN hardware on your motherboard seems to be the only thing you have not tried to swap out.

(edited to remove question about LEDs. Looking deeper it seems that a different color to indicate a high speed connection is not as common as I thought.)

5. Kierstal

Kierstal Thread Starter

Sigh. When looking for the LAN hardware for my mobo, I thought to doublecheck the software too. Lo and behold, it was the the driver for the network card. PC said it was up to date, but it lied. Went and got the new one, rebooted, getting 50/5 like I should be. Problem solved.

Sorry for wasting your (and the poor TWC support guys') time x_x

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice