1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dlink 624 router drops connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lola2001, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I just got a dlink 624 wireless router and my connection keeps dropping after a little while. I have to reboot to reestablish a connection. This is really aggravating. I tried calling dlink but I am on hold forever and never get to speak to someone. Connection is fine if directly connected.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What connection drops--internet to router or router to computer?

Have you checked for wireless interference from 2.4Ghz cordless phones, microwaves, other networks on the same or close channel, etc.?

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Well....I'm not sure. The internet doesn't work but I've never had a problem when it was hard wired before. I'm using cable and rarely does it go down. It keeps dropping just since I installed this card & router.

How do I check if there is a cordless phon e or microwave interferring? I have a microwave but havne't used it in 2 days and there is a cordless phone a few rooms away but again, it is not being used at the moment.

How do I know the channel?

Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A microwave would interfere only when it is in use. To determine if a 2.4Ghz cordless phone is interfering you need to unplug the base unit and remove the battery from the handset.

If your PC has wireless capability, whichever utility you are using to manage the connection should tell you the channel (but maybe some don't). It should also show you any other networks within range.

The best way to determine your channel is to login to your router (probably at 192.168.0.1, but check your manual) and look in the wireless section.

I'm currently betting on the cordless phone if it's 2.4Ghz. :)

5. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

When you say "base" I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I have a corded phone with built in answering machine and speaker phone about 10 feet away from the computer. Then I have a cordless phone and charger which is part of the corded phone system. So do I need to unplug the corded phone or just the charger that the cordless sits in?

Dlink software says channel 11.

6. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Ok...ignore that stupid quesiton. I've unplugged the whole system. My only question now is; do I need to leave it unplugged or do it just need to move it away from the computer? Thanks.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The base station includes a charger, so we are probably talking about the same thing. If the disconnects continue, the cordless isn't the problem. If the disconnects stopped, then the cordless IS the problem and the next steps could be as follows.

1. Since you are now using channel 11, change it to channel 1 (if that channel is free) or 6. Sometimes that separates the frequencies enough to get by.

2. The interference may be from the base station or the handset or both, so first keep the handset in another room or the other corner of the house. If still have disconnects move the base station away if that is possible.

3. Forget about cordless until you ..

4. Get a 5.8Ghz cordless (or the older low frequency--900Mhz I think).

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    P.S.--remember you are trying to get the cordless farther away from the computer and farther away from the router.

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

ok, well for now I disconnected the whole thing altogether and took out the batteries. About 10 minutes later I lost my connection. Could be a coincidence though. I'll leave it like this for a day and see what happens. If it is not the phone what else could it be?

Thanks for your help.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "If it is not the phone what else could it be?"

1. Other wireless interference. You could download NetStumbler from www.netstumbler.com and check for noise vs. signal strength.

2. Another wireless network on the same or close channel. NetStumbler shows you all the networks in range.

3. Both Windows' WZC utility and your adapter's utility are running and conflicting with each other. Which one are you using and do you know that the other one is not?

4. You are using WZC and it disconnects to look for a stronger signal.

5. There is a fix, but you do not have the latest driver/utility for your wireless adapter.

6. Something about authentication, but I'll have to look that up if we get that far.

11. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

It doesn't appear to be the phone. The connection is still dropping but here is the strange part; the main computer says there is no connection (connection unplugged) but the Internet is still working. The second computer says it is connected but there is no Internet.

I'm not sure what a WZC utility is....can you elaborate? I have dlink utility running. Maybe spybot is interfering? That runs all the time.

I live in a condo....could that be a factor?

12. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I downloaded net stumbler as you suggested. It doesn't say anything.

At the bottom it says No AP's active and in the next window it says GPS disabled.

The Dlink utility still says my connection is unplugged......but I'm clearly connected to the Internet.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If NetStumbler fnds no signal, click on the Device menu; if your adapter is listed with two different drivers, try the other adapter.

To determine if WZC is running, Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - scroll to the bottom looking for Wireless Zero Configuration.

LIving in a condo or apartment (vs. a house )greatly increases the odds of other networks in range, including one or more using the same channel.

14. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Yes...there were two listed. I tried the other one and still I got the same thing.

WZC is not running.

I am using all dlink products.

I'm still connected to the internet but the dlink utility says I am not. And the little computer icon with an X through it is in the bottom right corner. Still the other computer says the opposite but no internet. Weird.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I'm still connected to the internet but the dlink utility says I am not."

Well, actually I think that the DLink utility is only capable of connecting to a wireless signal; when it connects to a wireless signal, it still does not know whether you have internet access. Are you saying that you are connected to your router and the internet via ethernet but the wireless is disconnected?

And what is "the opposite" on the other computer?

I'm getting confused (not unusual!)--this thread started as a periodic disconnect problem; now how many problems are there? And specifically what are they?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice