1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dlink 713p router mysteries

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nagstaku, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nagstaku

Nagstaku Thread Starter

ok, so about 4 days ago i was cleaning up in my attic (where my computer labratory is setup) and i had to move my router (a dlink 713p) to the other side of the room.

So i went about unplugging it and moving it to its new home and then after i had everything setup i came back to my main computer to find it wasn't on the internet.

Thinking it might be the router, i went over to it and it looked fine, all lit up, my connection to it was green. so i went over to another computer and tried a website.. worked fine. coming back to mine, i go into console and check ipconfig, and its giving me a 169.* address. i tried release and renew and wasn't my IP from the router, so i just reset my computer hoping it would fix itself. when i turned it back on however, i was still getting the same bad IP. Next guess as always was to unhook everything from everything, powercycle the modem, router, and reset the computers, plug everything back in. strangely enough, the other computers were working fine, but mine still wouldn't work.

Next i tried directly pinging the router (192.168.0.1) and it was just getting destination host unreachable. next i tried pinging anything possible, and using the other computers to try and ping me, but nothing still, then i tried switching around the array on the router for which patch cable got which port, still, mines the only one not working. quite aggravated, i moved another computer to where mine sat and plugged it in to my cabling, and it worked fine. thinking of things i could try, i plugged in 2 other network cards and also tried the 2nd onboard network card to no avail. i was now ready to reset my tcp/ip stack or however it works from console with "netsh int ip reset reset.txt" and found it also useless. Then, i tried running the winsockfix and resetting everything possible related to my network proving useless.

Now what i did next might shock some of you, but i just installed XP about a week or so earlier so there wasn't much valuable on it and i just reformatted thinking the more i tinker with it the more time thats wasted. After bringing up my clean(er) install of XP, i go right to installing my platform drivers and hooked it right into the network, only to find that IT STILL COULDN'T PING MY ROUTER. verrrry angry, i broke a crappy keyboard at my feet and mumbled some obsceneties to M$, but that didn't fix it either. After giving myself a static IP the first time, i attempted to ping the router, got a timed out, GOT A RESPONSE, but then timed out twice more. giving me hope to tinker with it for hours more, i never was able to get another ping back from the router, mean time the other computers were in jolly shape surfing away.

At this point, thinking it couldn't get any worse and my computer was in the crapper for no reason, I dug up my old dlink 704 router, plugged it in, everything worked fine. got a perfect connection, IP, hooked it up to the modem, was on the internet automatically. I was shocked at the stupidity of the situation, but decided to make the best of it and try to work with it. since i wanted to keep wireless, i was going to try and put the 713p router behind the other one.

So i plugged the 713p into my 704 (from 713p's wan spot to an open port on the 704), and of course it wouldn't work with it. So i isolated it again and logged onto it through the http interface, and changed its IP from 192.168.0.1 (because they both were using that IP) to 192.168.2.2, in which it told me the settings would not be saved until i rebooted like normal, so i hit the reboot button (via the http interface) and i got a weird message telling me i would have to reset it. thinking i just did, i tried to log on to it and got a 404, so i went over to the router and looked at it. blinking like normal. so i unplugged its power (it doesn't have a power button, geez) and plugged it back in, and the 2 m1 and m2 orange lights were just stuck lit, usually meaning its being retarded. So i went through the procedure to power cycle it turning it off, holding the reset button down while i turn it back on for 5 secs then letting go, and it just stays the same with these lights.

As of now, the router just sits there with its lights on, not working, and i cant seem to get it to reset right for the life of me. Now this must just seem kinda like a rant so far, but what im looking for, is if you guys think this thing was dying, just died, was always dead, is repairable etc etc.. Please help me out, not sure what to do about the whole thing. Thanx

:confused: :mad: :confused:

edit: is that good for formatting? im semi new to using forums and everything :eek:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

PLEASE reformat the message so it's somewhat readable! :eek:

3. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

Something about nework cards don't work.
    Try swapping it with the PCI slot next to it. :confused:

Attached Files:

• dpc.gif
      dpc.gif
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Nagstaku

Nagstaku Thread Starter

Oh i more than like ur sig, lol. actually like i said the router is as of now unusable as it wont stop blinking even if I unplug the power. if i turn it on, it blinks semi strangely, but then continues with m1 and m2 flashing rapidly, which isn't supposed to happen. im doing what it says to powercycle it, and it says if they're still flashing i held down the reset button too long but i know im not and ive tried a dozen or so times. Im thinking maybe i should open it up and blow on it (just like teh old nes ;) ) but im not sure yet. It was my dads router to so he's completely blaming me for it all. Ill update if i can get it to respond, but like i said before I tried it with both onboard NIC's and an intel nic and it wouldn't ping back to each. does anyone know what the difference is between "destination host unreachable" and "request time out" cause i always got the first one when it was 'working'. thanks for ur replyz.. :D :D

5. Beavis+B.hed

Beavis+B.hed

Your story reeks of frustration
    Just to be sure....when you reset the router, is the network cabling unplugged?
    Otherwise you are factory defaulting it to the same IP as the 704.

Another possibility....your father is right :)

6. Nagstaku

Nagstaku Thread Starter

yea, its just the router and the power cables. I emailed dlink about it and they told me this product is no longer supported by them and they cant do anything about it. hard to believe it crashed itself permantly. btw, thanks for making my thread your first post lol w00t.

7. duner80

duner80

The same thing happened with me. I was lucky and was able to call dlink the day before they quit supporting it. The tech guy had me try to reset and restart it several times to no avail. He finally said it was dead and that they would replace it. I asked what would have caused it, and he said that after several years it would just stop working. So, I never found out what happened, but that it was dead.

8. Nagstaku

Nagstaku Thread Starter

all i can say is wow. after having problems with this router ive been looking into dlinks products and support and find dissapointment everywhere. so does anyone else have a preferance on routers? ive heard linksys are some of the best and can run linux on them (if thats even some great thing) but i imagine you can customize the kernels for it then and probably update it with new features. anyone else have some suggestions?

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

192.168.1.1 is the linksys address for my router.

192.168.0.1 is a very close # for your dlink router.
    maybe a bad port on the router or a bad cable.

moving the router across the room shouldn't kill it unless you threw it.

10. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

This is probably a moot post but if I walked in there, the first thing I would do is unplug all the power cables and the cable to the modem.
    Attempt to turn on each device (power unplugged). This drains any power that maybe holding a goofy gate open or closed. Then one by one power on from the modem (reset and configure from another workstation), the router (reset and configure from another workstation and disconnect), the server and then any clients. If (IF!) the settings are right and it still doesn't work, I would pronounce it a lune and commit it to my ever growing pile of crud. You might want a magnifying glass and a flashlight and look for any debris or corrosion in the RJ45 ports. Double check your cables with a ohm meter.
    Loose cable connections totally confuse PCs and the troubleshooter.

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

linksys has been good to me.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice