1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dlink router must be reset too often

Discussion in 'Networking' started by carrere2, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrere2

carrere2 Thread Starter

I have a desktop system running Windows Vista that is wired to a dlink wireless router (WBR 1310). The DSL modem is connected to the router, and the network has been running just fine for my wireless laptop, ipod touch, and wireless blueray DVD player.

When I upgraded the modem (to Actiontec M1000) in advance of a DSL speed upgrade, the problems began. After lengthy tech support calls to Qwest and Dlink and updating the firmware of the router, I am connected to the Internet at fairly consistent speeds on the desktop.

However, the network signal is very inconsistent for the wireless devices. Sometimes they can't find the network at all until I reset the router (it doesn't seem to matter whether I use the reset button, unplug and replug, or go to the admin Settings page and save the settings again). Sometimes they find the network, but can't connect to the internet until a reset. Sometimes they connect and everything works better than ever. For a while - then it goes funky again.

The most noticeable problem is with the laptop, but I suspect that is just because it has more ways to monitor what is happening with the signal.

I am at a loss as to what to try. Should I get rid of all of the network settings and start over? I'm not quite sure how to do that. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Try this:

Change the channel for the wireless signal in the router. Other wireless devices in the area can sometimes interfere, you just need to try other channels until you find a stable one.

3. carrere2

carrere2 Thread Starter

Well, that seemed too simple, but what do you know -- it seems to have worked!!! I'll keep an eye on it, and post again.

Thanks so much!

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Crossing fingers, you are welcome.

Welcome to TSG forums

5. carrere2

carrere2 Thread Starter

Okay, after a couple of weeks I am satisfied that the channel change has solved the network issue - but, I am now frustrated by the unpredictable internet speeds I am getting on both the desktop and laptop. They range anywhere from over 5mb to .5mb (according to speedtest.net). Since the top speed claimed by Qwest is 7mb, I can live with 5 but am not too thrilled by.5...

Perhaps I should start a new thread about this, but it may be connected to the network problem, so I thought I would start here.

Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Does your connection use phone lines?

7. carrere2

carrere2 Thread Starter

Yes, and I am very near the main switching hub downtown, so I am told that I could get the maximum speeds they offer.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I would ask your ISP to check the lines for a possible bad connection between your house and their hub downtown.

My brother had a similar intermittant problem for 6 months with ATT uverse, they kept saying there was no problem, it finally got so bad he could not connect to the internet, it took them a week to find the problem and resolve it, if memory serves me right it was not the lines in his case, but software configuration on their end.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890803