1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dlink wireless pci card problem upon reboot win98se

Discussion in 'Networking' started by newtz, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

Hi there:

Recently got a Dlink DWL-G520 wireless PCI card for my win98se box that I'm running in the basement. Had a bit of trouble w/ the installation disk, found out it didn't have drivers for older systems. Found some on the net, and they appear to work great. I uninstalled cd-provided utility & drivers, and ran the setup I got from the net (DWL-g520_drv_revB_Ver.4.11_ALL_en_050407... recommended by a zdnet post). Here's the exact process:

run new setup utility, upon completion of install, asks for reboot. I comply... upon re-start, windows asks for win98se system cd. I comply, system copies a few files and asks for another reboot. I comply again, and once the system comes back, everything's golden - I can get to the internet, I can browse my machine upstairs on my home network, configuration utility says I've got a pretty decent signal. Speed tests run earlier show 4400kbps down, just about as fast as if it were wired directly to the cable modem. Yay...

except, any time I restart again, or completely shut down and power back up, no internet, no network, but the dlink config utility still says my signal is fine. No hardware problems reported, so I'm stumped. I've tested and re-tested this scenario for days, and it never fails - uninstall everything, re-install everything, and I've got connectivity. Upon next restart, no connectivity, but dlink utility says good signal strength. I've searched several different posts in several different tech support forums, but I've found nothing that exactly matches my symptoms. I did read a post about turning off the 'Allow computer to shutdown this device to save power' switch in device manager - have tried that to no avail. Any ideas? Is there any info I can provide to assist anyone in helping me to investigate the issue? Thanks.

2. DBClark

DBClark

According to D-Links website, the software drivers and discussions in the knowledge base claim that the drivers include Windows 98.

I would look to obtain drivers from d-link before troubleshooting third-party/alternate drivers.

For some reason what you are using is not saving the profile or initializing properly after a restart.

3. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

Actually, the drivers I'm using are d-link's, just not from the install cd. I found the following article when I was having initial problems trying to install from the CD:

Q: Why is my D-Link adapter driver install failing: missing a3ab9x.sys, dwlndi.dll? (#12889)
    A: The files required to support Windows 98, Windows 98SE, or Windows Me are missing from your set of files. Fortunately, there is a workaround.
    1. Go to ftp://ftp.dlink.de/dwl/dwl-g520/driver_software (the directory might refer to a different card than your own).
    2. Look for DWL-g520_drv_revB_Ver.4.11_ALL_en_050407.zip (or later), and download that file to your hard disk.
    3. Extract the files into a folder or directory using WINZIP or some other ZIP-compatible program.
    4. Run SETUP from that folder or directory.

Followed the steps exactly, and now I'm at my current problem. On the FTP site referenced above, there were three separate zip files - I grabbed them all but used the one referenced above, as the other two files are older (one is for rev A, the other is DWL-g520_drv_revB_3004_ALL_en_031021.zip, which is older than the referenced file above). I've also checked D-Link's website, and found a file DWL-G520B_driver_317.zip, which contains a setup utility and drivers with the EXACT same create/modified dates as the contents of the DWL-g520_drv_revB_3004_ALL_en_031021.zip that I found on the ftp site referenced above (but haven't used). So I guess it's time to try the 'older' setup utility and drivers?

4. DBClark

DBClark

Hi newtz,

In your first post...I made an assumption that you had third party drivers!:confused:

Wish you luck. Let us know if you get it up and running.

5. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

Okay... uninstalled the current app & driver, powered down, pulled the card, re-booted clean, then installed the most recent setup app I found earlier today (DWL-G520B_driver_317.zip found on Dlink's website). Install seemed to go okay. Rebooted, system asked for win98se CD, I complied, system asked for restart again, I complied. System came back with a dlink utility & config tool, but no link at all - couldn't find any available network.

So, uninstalled this app and pulled the card again. On a hunch, after rebooting, I re-installed the original app I've tried in the earlier threads, and shut down. I put the card into a different PCI slot and restarted. System asked for win98 cd, I complied, asked for restart, sure. System came back and the config utility found the 'default' network, and I was connected to internet & my network again. Upon subsequent reboot, no internet, no network, same as always. However...

As I was playing with the dlink config utility, there's a 'site survey' function, which shows the 'default' network and my connection to it (about 50-60% strength, not bad for being in the basement two floors and two walls apart from the router). There's an option to 'connect', so I clicked this button. After a few quick seconds, screen flashed, nothing looked any different, but lo and behold, I have internet and network again!

Is this all I really had to do?!!! I've tested and re-tested this several times tonight... upon each subsequent restart, I have no internet or home network unless I open this dlink config utility and go to site survey and click 'connect'. Then everything's hunky-dory.

So, I guess this issue is closed, however I do have a few concerns - first, why do I have to manually 'connect' to my network with this config utility every time I start up this pc? Kind of a hassle - not nearly as large of a hassle as uninstalling & reinstalling the dang card every time I want to surf the net or network - but a hassle nonetheless. And second, probably more important, way back when I originally got the dlink rounter about 1 1/2 yr ago (DI-624), I set it up online through dlink's online wireless setup wizard, and I'm pretty sure I set encryption on it (64-bit hex - I even remember the 'Key' password!), however the config dlink utility down here on this pc has never asked for the 'key' when I connect to the network. is my wireless network not as secure as I think it is?

Thanks again for the help.

6. DBClark

DBClark

Glad to hear that you have solved "most" of your problems. In the site survey area, is there an option to save the profile? Just curious....

I have never tried networking a Windows 98 machine, Windows ME, but not 98.

7. newtz

newtz Thread Starter

No, no save option on any of the config utility's menus & submenus. I'm fine the way it is... have played a bit more recently and it's quite reliable. After I put the case cover back on and cleared a little extra space around the tower, I'm now gettting 60-70% signal strength consistently. I'll take having to deal with 'reconnecting' each time I have to boot up the machine - nostalgiac in a way - kinda reminiscent of the old DSL days when I actually had to open a connection. Either way, it still beats uninstalling & re-installing the app any time I want to get on the net. Truth be told, I probably won't be using this old PC down here in the basement too often, but I think a working, networked 98 box may come in handy from time to time. I spent my whole Saturday cleaning up my 'mad scientist lab' down here to have a nice working environment, so who knows, maybe I'll be on it more than I think I will.

I'm still a bit curious about the security of my network - why does the config utility not ask for my 'Key' when I connect - do I need to reset security on my router? Should this be a new topic?

8. DBClark

DBClark

If security is enabled on the router, then the connection utility on the 98 box is storing the key...just not re-connecting automatically.

If you don't have it enabled at the router...then you will have to enable it and then enter the key into the adapters connection utility.

You really should have WEP enabled...and WPA if it will support it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice