.dll error when trying to run program! help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philly6

ok thishas been bugging me the past few days.. whenever i try to run MSN Messenger on my laptop i get this erroe "The ADSLDPC.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:RtllnitUnicodeString" i have no idea whats going on, ive tried reading up on it and tried a few things but havnt really accomplished much as i don't really know what im trying to do... just to let you know im running winodws 98 on my laptop.

thanks.
:confused:

philly6

is there anything else... im sure someone else knows some other ideas on how to fix this problem... this is a help forum, it would be nice to get more than one suggestion..

philly6

Are you running Windows 98 or windows 98 Second Edition?

If you are using windows 98 then click the link http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll to download the missing NTDLL.DLL and then unzip it to C:\Windows\System

If you are running Windows 98SE then using your windows 98SE CD
Click start > run and type SFC.EXE this is a system file checker and will replace any system files that are missing or corrupt.

Let me know how you get on

Elaine :)

philly6

ok well when i run the SFC it notices a file under C:\Windows\system however when i go to restore it, it prompts me to restore it from the location, so when i choose the disc it says it cannot find the file.

oh and the file that it finds corrupted or changed is setupx.dll

????

Hi Wendy

Click the link http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?setupx save it to your desktop and then unzip it to your desktop

Do the same for the missing NTDLL.DLL Click the link
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll save it to your desktop and then unzip it to your desktop

Then restart your computer into safe mode

To do this
Restart your computer.
Tap repeatedly the F8 key after the Computer startup test screen (POST) is done.
or
Press the CTRL key until the startup menu appears.
Choose the Safe Mode option then press Enter.

Now go to where you unziped the two files on your destop and copy and paste the SETUPX.DLL and the NTDLL.DLL to C:\Windows\System and say yes if it asks to overwrite

Then restart your computer again this time into normal mode.

Let me know how it goes

Elaine

philly6

well when i restarted in safe mode, there was no C:\Windows\System folder anymore...

I take it if you start up in normal mode that the C:\Windows\System folder is there?

ok try this whilst in normal mode open the " MY Computer "
Click View
Click Folder Options
Click the View Tab
and place a tick in the box next to where it says
Show All Files
Click Apply and OK

then start safe mode and see if its in there then

Elaine

philly6

ok that worked, and i copied the setupx.dll file to the system folder however when i go to do the same with the ntdll.dll file it comes up with an error:

"Cannot copy ntdll: There has been a sharing violation

The source or destination file may be in use"

any ideas?

try this

I take it the problem started whe you tried to run MSN
Lets uninstall MSN reboot the computer and then install MSN again only this time using a new installation file get it from here http://messenger.msn.com ( just dont do what I have done in the past and forget your password )

Then ;et me know I'll be around for at least another 3 hours

Elaine

philly6

just a quick note before i re-install msn, the original error message in the first post is still popping up on startup. so its not only msn messenger which is the problem i guess. just thought id let you know incase there is another thing to look at before i install msn again

I see
I did mannage to find out that " RtllnitUnicodeString " is sommat to do with Win 2000 but I am still trying to find out some more about that

Do the msn thing and lets see what happens I aint going nowhere.

Elaine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts