1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.DLL file, BWCC32.DLL not found, etc.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by e503, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e503

e503 Thread Starter

I tried to recover my system (Win 98). I got up to the page where usually the desktop opens. But, I got the .DLL file, Bwcc32.dll was not found. I clicked on it. Then I get Explorer - illegal operatioon invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe at 0167:00401f31. Is there anyway I can recover this system? HELP!!!!

elise

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I take it you are using a recovery disk. Are you overinstalling Windows? If you had formatted, everything you need would be on the recovery disk.

If you can get into Safe Mode, go to start>run and type MSCONFIG
    Uncheck all startups other than systray and Windows explorer. Try to get into windows now.

Then have a look to see what was in the startups and post that information here. Some program needs that missing file.

3. e503

e503 Thread Starter

Yes, I am using a recovery disk. I have no idea if I am overinstalling windows. Maybe I am not using it correctly. When I go to the page where it says to recover and/or format, my comopouter ALWAYS freezes. I cannot do anything with it. My cdrom doesn't seem to work half the time. I do have a backup (recovery) disk for a cd rom and also a floppy disk.

I could get iinto safe mode, but I can't go to start. That's the problem. Would it help if I did an fdisk thing and reformat? Will I be abl3e to get my comoputer back to normal???????

HELP......I am really not very computer literate and need help.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Overinstalling Windows is installing it into the same folder and not formatting first. This is to replace any missing files. It doesn't give you a fresh registry.
    Formatting erases everything on the disk and reinstalls.

If you format, all your files and other programs will be gone.

Fdisk makes new partitions.(divides the disk into separate sections) However, if you fdisk,mall information is then lost on the disk. After an fdisk, you need to format. After that, a reinstall.

I cannot advise you because I don't know what has been happening to make you want to reinstall. If you post more details, either myself or someone else will be able to help you make a decision on what to do.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The Explorer.exe at 0167:00401f31

error may be due to a damaged or incorrect version of shdocvw.dll. See posts 17 and 18 in this thread...

http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/6327.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q175930

This is a difficult situation for a novice to recover from, but if you can extract or copy the correct version of that file to c:\windows\system, you may be able to do it.

See also this link for a method of accessing your files using a different shell program than explorer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q249191

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice