1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.dll problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sleepyviolet, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sleepyviolet

sleepyviolet Thread Starter

I am having trouble with my HP laptop that runs XP SP3.

A Word document stuck on the screen and eventually I switched the machine off at the power.

When I turned it back on I got the message:-

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <Windows root>\system32\had.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Thanks for help

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, not an easy one to solve and you will need the full Xp install Cd - not OEM [Original equipment manufacturer]
    The Bios will need to be set first, in the boot order - it may already be set that way.
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

The error should say Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Is that correct?

Trying to repair the Boot Sector and the Master Boot Record may solve the problem.
    Boot from Xp Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    At prompt type
    fixboot

Press Enter
    Then Type
    fixmbr

Press Enter
    Once the repair has be done - Type Exit, then restart your pc.
    Let us know if that works.

3. sleepyviolet

Very many thanks for your reply. That is great.

I am a novice and this may all be a bit above me.

Yes, that is the correct error message, sorry.

I did not quite understand what you said about the full Xp install Cd - not OEM [Original equipment manufacturer]. I only have the CD that came with the laptop?

There is another problem that the laptop does not have a CD or DVD reader so I shall have to get a device for that.

Most importantly, I do not want to lose some very special stuff. Would I?

Thanks again for help
    sleepyviolet

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If it doesnt have a cd/dvd drive you will have to use an external drive so that you can do the repair. a repair if done right doesnt cause you to lose important things. however if you have stuff on there you dont want to lose before proceeding with the repair to be safe i would back up the items on a flash drive for safekeeping until such time you can save them on a cd/dvd.

5. sleepyviolet

Thanks but how would you back up the items on a flash drive when the screen has only this error message and I cannot access the PC?

With regard to the external drive you mention, I do have an external CD/DVD reader with a USB connector. Is that OK?

Thanks
    sleepyviolet

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Yes a drive that has a usb connector is just fine. the only thing i can suggest to save what you dont want to lose is if you know how is take out the harddrive and get a usb sata/ide connector and if you have another computer you can use hook it up to that one and go from there.those have been a lifesaver many times when ive had a drive that is failing or for other reasons.

7. sleepyviolet

As a novice I don't know anything about that.

Thanks for help

sleepyviolet

8. blues_harp28

You may be able to save any needed files and data etc, using something similar to this.
    IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Cable Adapter
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/idesata-to-usb-20-a35fq
    You remove the hard drive from your pc - connect it to a working pc by the USB cable and save any needed data and files, to the working pc.
    If you are unable to do the above - you will need to seek professional help from your local pc repair shop.
    ======
    What is the make and model number of your pc?
    There may be a recovery partition that will take it back to how it left the factory.
    You will need to save your data - as a recovery will overwrite, remove all files and leave the hard drive with just the operating system.

9. sleepyviolet

Many thanks blues_harp28 for your message.

My PC is a Compaq 702E.

Is my XP disc I mentioned above OK?

I think it is beyond me and I am concerned about trying it as I so much do not want to lose my My Documents stuff.

I don't have a local IT repair shop. I live out in a village with virtually no services and it is reported that there are a lot of cowboys in this field in the nearest town which is rather concerning (and just about every other field too apparently).

Thanks again for help.
    sleepyviolet

10. blues_harp28

What is written on the XP Cd?
    Does it say 'Reinstallation or Recovery Cd', etc, have you had a need to use the Cd before?
    What pc are you using to post here on TechSupportGuy?
    Do you have a friend or family member who could help you or has used a local pc repair shop?

Saving your documents and data is, as with all of us, the most important thing to do.
    You may need to find a pc repair to transfer your data and files.
    It is a very simple job for someone who knows what they are doing.

You reminded me of the Sherlock Holmes quote from the The Copper Beeches.
    "It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside."
    Times have changed, thankfully. ;)

11. sleepyviolet

Thanks.

I don't have anyone to help or with knowledge of a PC repair shop.

I am using a holiday provided PC.

I haven't got access to the XP CD at the moment and I haven't used it before.

When I get to the XP CD I will post back which may not be easy as I won't have a PC then.

Thanks for help
    sleepyviolet

12. blues_harp28

Hi, I understand the problems you have, however, forum rules state that all help should be given in the forum.
    You will have to use a friends pc or use an internet caf'e for us to continue to help you.
    Or take one of the pc's you have to a local repair shop and they will have you back online in no time.

Compaq 702E - help and support.
    http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product...t_series_oid&jumpid=oc_r1002_uken_s-001_r0001

13. sleepyviolet

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a local IT repair shop. I live out in a village with virtually no services.

I don't have anyone to help or with knowledge of a PC repair shop, no internet cafe or friend with a PC.

This is why I have asked for help on here.

I am using a holiday provided PC and will no access to a PC after I leave here this time tomorrow.

Thanks for help
    sleepyviolet

14. blues_harp28

To fix a pc as you may need to fix a car, washing machine, etc, someone needs to be front of it to either get it running again, or in the case of your pc, try to save any needed data and files first.
    We can sometimes help on this forum but in your case someone will some knowledge of working with pc's, needs to have the pc right in front of them.

If the pc will boot from the Cd and you are able to, follow the suggestion in post # 2.
    If that does not work try copying the hal.dll file from the Cd.
    Restart the pc as in post # 2 - at the Command Prompt window.
    Type.
    expand D:\i386\hal.dl_ C:\Windows\system32
    Press Enter.
    D: being the drive letter of the Cd - if it is a different drive letter change it.
    Once that is done, remove the Cd and re-start the pc.

15. sleepyviolet

I was asking if you have a PC repair business as I do need to find a reliable PC repair shop in the Surrey/London area

Thanks again for help.
    sleepyviolet

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice