1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DLL problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Elanor, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Hi. I'm a big media buff and have all the regular players on my system: Winamp, WMP9, RealOne and Quicktime. I play files a lot and was doing so yesterday, as usual. After a while, I switched Winamp off. I closed the computer and all was well.

The next time I switched it on, I played music and typed for a bit, then suddenly my computer went on a blue screen crash and restarted everything. That happens to me once in a while (I've had the comp for a year and a half and maybe it's happened 5 times), but normally after the automatic CheckDisk at reboot, all is well. Not so this time. CheckDisk found a ton of files crosslinked and it did whatever it does to fix them. Now, however, it seems that my DLL files are on the fritz. WMP now refuses to play my MPEG-2 files, spitting out audio with no video. Winamp3 refuses to load, mentioning missing DLL files. I reinstalled DDRAW.dll because it asked to, but now the error I get when I try to load ANYTHING on ANY media player is: "The procedure entry point MakeCriticalSectionGlobal could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

Is there any way to fix this, please? I really need help here. Thank you!

2. chilleds

chilleds

3. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Yup. I was advised to run a Virus check and I used Panda ActiveScan. No viruses turned up.

4. Rache

Rache Banned

Try running cmd

Start, Run, type cmd and press enter.

In the command window, at the C:> prompt, type:

sfc /scannow (note space)

and press enter.

Get your w2k/xp CD ready.

Note that ideally you should have sp4 (or xp sp1) installed first. Then sfc wouldn't replace system files updated by Windows Update with the old CD versions of the files.

5. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

I did run cmd and scannow three times. It didn't prompt for the CD.

6. Rache

Rache Banned

7. Rache

Rache Banned

Now, that wasn't the url I copied from Knowledgebase. Maybe Bill's site's too busy right now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!