1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DMA head scratching me no understand it ???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chunter, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chunter

Chunter Thread Starter

Ok the problem i had was that my cd rom wasn't installing anything at all,so i switched over to my cd writer and everything would install as normal.
    the problem "message" i was receiving was the blue screen of death but without any words,just a few zeroes randomly placed on the screen.
    So i replaced the cd rom with a new one thinking that the old one was kaput,but i was still receiving the same bsod,so i scratched my head for a while, checked the cables as you do,spoke to my mate on the phone who was at first stumped for an answer..but then he phoned back and suggested unchecking DMA.
    Now i was at first a bit sceptical as i've had DMA checked on this computer since day 1 but i unchecked and my problem disappeared..great now i've got two cd roms...
    the only thing that is new to my system is a pci 512 sound card from creative..

ok my question is ... why did DMA work ok one day but not the next(could my soundcard be the culprit?) and what the hell does DMA actually do for you ? is it better with or without ?

Chunter

2. columbo

columbo

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ok, here's the scoop on your middle question:

DMA (Direct Memory Access) allows devices in your computer to transfer data directly to and from RAM without having to use the CPU as an intermediary. This system is a boost to overall system performance not only because the devices can respond more quickly but it also frees up the CPU to perform other tasks.

By default, DMA is disabled for CDROM type devices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice