1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DMA & pagefile problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcfocus, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcfocus

pcfocus Thread Starter

Hi there!
    I have a 1Gig P3,Asus CUV4XC m/board, 512Mb RAM, WD 80 Gb hd (IDE) & ATI Radeon AGP card,running WinXP Pro.
    My hd is primary master, CD writer primary slave. DVD writer secondary master, DVD ROM secondary slave. The BIOS post screen correctly sees the hd in UDMA mode 4 & the cd/dvd drives in UDMA mode 2. Problem no1 is, Vensters wil nie saamwerk nie! Although ALL IDE channels are set to DMA if available (& reset several times) only the 2 slave drives operate in DMA mode, while the 2 masters stubbornly remain in PIO mode. Are you aware of any tweaks or registry hacks to force DMA? I'll even resort to 3rd party software at this point.
    Problem no2 is my pagefile setting which refuses to accept a fixed size pagefile & constantly underallocates resulting in programs crashing/malfunctioning. I suspect that this may be the result of some Windows tweak program (a Tweak UI type creature) long since uninstalled. Can this be overridden in the registry or elsewhere? PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Problem 1:

If you open the Device Manager (run sysdm.cpl > Hardware > Device Manager) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

If this does not correct it you may have disk problems which are causing it to be reset. While there is a registry edit that may help if this is the case, it does not resolve the underlying problem. You also need to ensure that you have the proper IDE controllers installed if your motherboard calls for them.

Problem 2:

How much available space on the hard drive where you are setting the page file, and what are you trying to set it to? Typically you would not want it to be more than 1 1/2 times installed ram. And were you to add more ram, perhaps not even that.

3. pcfocus

pcfocus Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin' Rog the driver reinstall was the bomb for the DMA issue.
    As for the page file, if l set it to less than 1,5Gb, I get "virtual memory low" Windows error messages on boot-up. What do you suggest?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That shouldn't be happening unless something is chewing up memory abnormally.

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Do ctrl-alt-del to open up the task manager. Select the "performance" tab. Let me know what you see under:

Physical Memory

Total: this is your total installed ram -- "physical" memory
    Available: this is the amt of real "physical" memory presently uncommitted

Commit Charge

Total: this is the combination of total physical and virtual memory currently in use
    Limit: this is the total physical and virtual memory available
    Peak: this is the most you have had in use in this session

>> also, in the Task Manager process window make sure columns for "VM Size" and "Peak Memory" are enabled and monitor that to see what processes are taking up the most room there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!