DMA_Timer_expiry error?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sdeyoung1974

O.k, here's my story. I few months ago I tried installing Linux on a second PC. I was always getting a DMA_Timer_Expiry == 0x61 HDB:error waiting for DMA when trying to install. I tried about 4 or 5 different distros, talked to people, changed settings in the bios, nothing worked so I gave up.. Now this is the weird part, the other day for the heck of it I tried installing Debian, downloaded the boot disk, burnt to cd and booted from my Cdrom. Everything went good, installed Debian without any errors. Now, nothing had been changed from that system but for some reason it installed. I wasn't going to ask any questions. I ran Debian for a couple of days without any problems. Now i'm still new to linux so i was trying things, trying to get apps installed, getting my scroll mouse working, etc.. I made the stupid mistake of modifying something in the xf86config file to try and get my mouse working properly. When I rebooted it was saying there was an error with that file now and it wouldn't startup Gnome anymore. So stupid me, not really knowing my way around linux all that good (I'm a Dos and Windows guy) I decided since the install went so smooth, i would just reinstall again. Now, when trying to reinstall, i'm getting that same error i was getting a couple of months ago and it won't install completly. I'm stumped, i don't know what else to try and i'm ready to give up Linux for good.. Is there anyone out there that could perhaps shead some light on this?

sdeyoung1974

someone told me to use an 80 pin ide cable instead of a 40 pin. Anyone think that this would make a difference? My drives are ata100 by I believe that the IDE controller on my board is only ata33.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online