1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS/Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Giant Octopus, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Giant Octopus

Giant Octopus Thread Starter

Hi on Sunday I was trying to connect to the Internet. All the lights on my modem/router were green and everything was OK. But when I tried to connect to any sites, I couldn't. Then the internet icon on my toolbar went to "No Internet" even though the lights on my modem and router were green. I tried my tablet and while it said I was connected I couldn't actually connect to any sites. When I tried my Nintendo Switch it could connect to the router but not the Internet.

These were the messages I got

My computer said "DNS server is not responding"
    My tablet said "DNS probe finished_ bad Configuration"
    My Nintendo said "Unable to preform DNS name resolution".

I tried another modem/router that I have and I get the same problem.

Furthermore it comes and goes. Sunday afternoon I was able to connect and Monday too, but on Tuesday I couldn't then I could, then I couldn't again.

This morning I was able to connect but after 10 minutes I couldn't anymore.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

There is connection problems with the DNS on all my devices and routers that comes and goes.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible that the ISP is having an issue if you tried a different modem/router.

Please provide an IPCONFIG report by going to Command Prompt and typing ipconfig/all and press enter.

3. Giant Octopus

This is what I got. This is for my Belkin router. (I also have a Smart /RG modem/router)

I'm online now. But I don't know how long this will last. Its been coming and going for days.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And what did your ISP say about it when you called?

5. Giant Octopus

They said they had some issues but didn't get into specifics. Most of the people who work for AOL/Canada are so bloody incompetent. They just said that some customers were having intermittent issues but that was about it.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Most ISPs would be vague because it could get them in even more trouble. So most likely your router has the DNS information that the ISP is providing. One thing you can try it changing your DNS information on your computer. You will need to go to the Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > right click on your wireless connection then choose properties. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and select properties.

Select Use the following DNS server addresses and put 8.8.8.8 for Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS Server.

upload_2019-1-23_11-37-26.png

If they are having DNS issues, then this should resolve it. You would be able to tell because your computer is working but others are not.

7. Giant Octopus

But I can't connect to my WiFi (from my router) with my tablet and gaming systems. So how would changing the DNS on my computer allow me to connect with my other devices?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's a test... but you can change the DNS on the router so all devices can benefit. It should be under LAN settings I believe. It's been a while since I have touched a router.

9. Giant Octopus

On my router the DNS is listed as automatic. I just change that to manual and type in that number you supplied in your earlier post?

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Correct, that will not use the router for DNS, but goes straight to Google.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In post # 1 you said you could connect to the router with tablet and Nintendo: "I tried my tablet and while it said I was connected I couldn't actually connect to any sites. When I tried my Nintendo Switch it could connect to the router but not the Internet."

In post # 7 you indicate that you cannot connect to the router with them: "But I can't connect to my WiFi (from my router) with my tablet and gaming systems."

Which is it?

12. Giant Octopus

Post #1. I meant to say in post #7 that I couldn't connect to the Internet.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK. So, if the ISP's DNS server is the source of the problem then following James' advice will solve the problem either by changing the DNS on the router or by changing it on each of your devices.

14. Giant Octopus

I just wanted to add that when I check my DNS with my Belkin router it says the number is 192.168.2.1 while my Smart Earthlink modem/router says 192.168.1.1

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I guess that you are saying that when a device requests a dynamic (Dhcp) IP configuration each of your routers assigns itself as the DNS server. That is quite normal for many (maybe most) routers. When the router gets a request to resolve a URL it will first consult its queue and, if necessary, then forward the request to whatever DNS server is specified in its WAN configuration.

Others assign the DNS server assigned by the ISP. Most, if not all, allow the user to specify a DNS server for the router to assign.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice