DNS error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sephroth57

i use MSN to get on the internet and when i dial up and connect everything is fine. but if i try to pull up a webpage on IE or read my mail in outlook or do anything that sends data out/in nothing happens. i looked at my connection where it says bytes recieved/sent. and they dont move at all they just stay at whatever they arw when i sign on, like 1000 or so. when i try to use IE and let the page try to load on the bottom it tries to load the path, C:windows/system..etc, and the last part says DNS error. please help! :confused:

Hi Sephroth57

go to Tools\internet options\connections click "settings" and make sure "use a proxy server.........) is unticked

steam

Sephroth57

forgot to mention i have windows ME, there is no box for proxy sever but it also might help to know this all started after i did some cleaning i think i might have deleted a file i needed by accident.

Sephroth57

This could be almost anything - this happened to me once and it turned out to be a conflict between msn messenger and zonealarm

Turn of your firewall and see if that helps

It could be a conflict caused by a program you have running at startup

It could be caused by spyware\foistware\adware\malware

If you post your startup list we may be able to spot something

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.51 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Download to any folder or your desktop
Unzip the zipfile
Double click the exe file
go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

steam

Sephroth57

well i cant download anything on that computer because i cant load any webpages at all. im on my sisters computer..

Sephroth57

forgot to mention, i dont have a firewall im on dialup. and the last things i did before all this happened was run adaware and windows cleanup, they deleted some junk and then it didnt work since then..

Which version of adaware did you run - I hope it was version6 because if it wasn't it probably corrupted you winsock settings

Startuplist is only a small program - download it to a floppy - run it on your comp and post the results back here

Have you tried a system resore ?

steam

Del

Go to Start > Run and type in "command" without the quotes and hit Enter on the keyboard.

Then where the prompt is, type in "ping 64.58.76.176" without the quotes and hit Enter of the keyboard.

You should get something like the following:

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ping 64.58.76.176

Pinging 64.58.76.176 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.58.76.176: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=238
Reply from 64.58.76.176: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=238

Ping statistics for 64.58.76.176:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 54ms

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>
Let us know what results you get!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts