1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doubleh, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doubleh

doubleh Thread Starter

OK-here goes. My computer was doing very well-until it got a virus attached to the windows. I lost everything on my computer-had to have it reformatted and all.Now when I try to log in to a certain website to look at my bill and pay it-it always comes up "page cannot be displayed-DNS Error-Internet Explorer. And one other website comes up "action cancelled" every time I try to log into it. I've called the guy who worked on my computer,I've called my ISP and I've called the company to the website to where I want to pay my bill. Everybody pushes me off on someone else. Please-what can I do?

2. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Do you use AOL? Maybe AOL firewall is blocking it? Or another firewall might be blocking it. Also, have you tried a different browser...Firefox for example?

3. doubleh

doubleh Thread Starter

What do I need to do to try another browser? I have yahoo and internet explorer.I also have
    AVG,ccleaner and spybot

4. vicks

vicks

have you tried the following?
    click on start>run type in cmd when command window opens type ipconfig /flushdns (note space between ipconfig /) When that is done type in ipconfig /release when that is finished type in ipconfig /renew.
    This may help you.
    vicks

5. doubleh

doubleh Thread Starter

Thanks JustJudy!
    I browsed for browers and downloaded Firefox. And then wentto the websites I've had trouble with and was able to view my account on the one and uploaded my resume(I really need a job!)on the other one. I was almost to the point of buying a new computer and beatin the heck out of this one. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

6. jmwills

jmwills

It was not a browser issue. The flush DNS command should have done the trick.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually evertime you reboot you "flush DNS" I think. Some ISPs will configure a kind of proxy setting in IE -- and this will occasionally cause problems.

Also you should experiment with the "automatically detect settings" check box both on and off.

8. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Doubleh,
    I am so glad it worked for you! Congrats and happy surfing!

9. doubleh

doubleh Thread Starter

jmwills,
    Sorry-but the flush DNS did not work. I tried a couple times-it didn't work either time.
    But thanks for your reply-I appreciate all the help I can get.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So you are saying the problem is now back, or it is specific to Internet Explorer?

You may have Internet Explorer configured with a proxy server -- this can cause some issues.

You should also test IE in "no add-ons" mode. This is available in IE 7 through the Start Menu > " All Programs > Accessories > System Tools" options.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

An easy way to determine if it is a DNS issue or not is to do some simple ping tests

ping 4.2.2.1 - If you get a reply you are connected to the Internet. You need to get this working before worrying about DNS or browsing

ping www.yahoo.com - If the previous worked and this didn't, it is DNS issue. One solution is to use your ISP's DNS servers rather than the router's IP address.

Once both these work then you can start trying to browse.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!