1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS Help/Internet Connection Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ruffy_mike, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruffy_mike

ruffy_mike Thread Starter

I have the following Problem with my LAN: I used to share the Internet Connection (CableModem), but some days ago it stopped working. The LAN, however, is properly set-up, I can access any computer. As I can PING IP-Adresses, it must be a problem w/ resolving domain names... the problem is, I can't remember that I changed anything on my directly-connected PC (well, I installed SyGate's software-firewall, but I have already removed it - could it be that this progam has altered some settings on my PC?)
    BTW, I'm running Win2000 on both computers (PC-directly connected (2 ethernet-cards, Laptop)
    Thanks for every tidbit!

Mike

2. angel

angel

Uninstalling it could have removed some required settings.
    What are your TCP/IP settings on each computer (DNS, Gateway, IP, etc)?

3. mole

mole

I think you mean that you can ping IP addrersses on both your LAN and the internet, but cannot resolve names from IPs on the internet?

Stop and restart the DNS service after you connect (think you should connect) through your cable modem.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Admin. Tools > Services, find a service in the list named "DNS Client", right click and select restart. See if that gives you DNS resolution.

(Alternate method: Start a command prompt and type...

net stop "DNS Client"

net start "DNS Client"

... wait briefly between the commands for a message about the command being completed succesfully.)

On my system (aDSL) I lost DNS resolution when I installed Zone Alarm Pro. It might have to do with my system not seeing the DNS server at my ISP, however by doing what I described above, DNS resolution is restored each time.

4. ruffy_mike

ruffy_mike Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply - I've scribbled down your advice, mole. However, I'v fixed the problem the following way: I've checked the IP-Adress of the DNS-Server via "ipconfig" on my Desktop and used that particular IP-address on my Laptop, too (TCP/IP configuration). Actually, it works pretty fine now, I only wonder why I must set the DNS-Server manually now - it used to work automatically some time ago :) Anyways... it's now working and that's the point.

Mike, wondering for how long it will work now :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice