1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved DNS help. No internet access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andrewkj, Sep 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Last night I was viewing my IP details in browser. In the Network setup area the DNS were both blank. I had a brain freeze and entered my IP into the DNS Primary and saved. Upon realising this had removed my internet access I returned and deleted it and left it blank again. I still have no internet access. When troubleshooting I get the old 'DNS server isn't responding'.

I stupidly tried to fix it by myself with the help of google. I've "flushed, registered, released and renewed" the DNS cache. I've tried entering different DNS primary and secondarys in my IP settings. I then restored my modem to default. Still no access to the internet.

Can anyone please help me. Was restoring to default a very bad idea? Can I fix it myself or do I need to contact my internet provider or Modem manufacturer to resolve the issue. Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andrew

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you make the changes to the Router's settings via a browser or something else ?

EDIT : never mind I can see you did.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you left both DNS entries blank in network adapter tcp v4 properties, you should also make sure that you have 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' selected.

Or if you want to try another DNS server other than the one automatically obtained from your internet service provider, you can use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are Google's DNS servers.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In the Router settings see if there's an 'Automatically' (or similar wording) setting for DNS and select it if there is. Or you can use the ones lunarlander suggested in the previous post.

5. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! From what I can tell the 'automatic' setting for my DNS is enabled. I also tried using the google DNS last night to no avail.
    Below are some screenshots of the network status. Maybe you can see something wrong that I can't.

upload_2019-9-9_9-26-22.png
    upload_2019-9-9_9-26-46.png

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Right click on the Computer Monitor icon in the systray on the bottom right of the screen, choose 'Open network & internet settings. Click on 'Change adapter options'
    Right click on WiFi or Ethernet, which ever one you are using, choose Properties. Click on TCP/IP v4 and click on Properties button. Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.

7. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Hey Lunar,

Yeah I've done that, both IPv4 and IPv6 have the automatic feature enabled in the wifi properties. I feel like its more something I've done within the IP browser, but I cant see anything different to how it was before I made my initial changes last night.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

What is an 'IP browser' ? Do you mean Ms Edge / Chrome / Firefox ?

9. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Sorry, I just mean when I enter my IP address into the chrome and Log in to view all my settings. That's where I made the changes which stopped internet access.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do you have modem And a router ?

11. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Its a Router with an ethernet connected to an NBN box on the wall

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

When you said you typed in an ip address into your browser and logged in, do you know whether you are logging into your router or are you logging in to the NBN box?

13. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Its a Netcomm Router and when I enter the IP address it logs into the Netcomm router settings. There isn't any information regarding NBN on there.

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

Doesn't make sense. If the changes were made at the router which cause internet to fail, and you have reset the router, then all the changes would be gone.

Hook up an ethernet cable from the PC to the router and see if internet works.

15. andrewkj

andrewkj Thread Starter

Just hooked up the ethernet cable. Still no Internet. Does that mean its a problem with the setting within the router? Or my computer? Thanks for the continued help by the way.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice