1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS issue - Unable to resolve CNAME

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by yllw98stng, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yllw98stng

yllw98stng Thread Starter

From a windows client on our network, we're having troubles accessing the website of our local television news station.

Here's what I found:
    I'm unable to resolve the hostname www.khastv.com (via nslookup or ping)
    If I type the following:
    Code:
    nslookup
    set q=cname
    [URL="http://www.khastv.com"]www.khastv.com[/URL]

it is able to resolve and then I'm able to get to the website. However, in a day or two I'm unable to get to the website once again because the TTL has expired.

We maintain our own DNS infrastructure which looks something like this:

DNS client >> Local (On-site) Domain Controller >> Forwards to Central Office Domain Controller >> Forwards to Central Office External DNS server >> Root Hints

What is the next step in my troubleshooting of this issue? I thought maybe it was an issue of the DNS request timing out between the client and the Central Office External DNS server, but I have tried to resolve the hostname from the Central Office External DNS server and run into the same issue.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. geek117

geek117

As a simple quick fix, why don't you add entries for the DNS servers and the tv station website in the hosts file of the computer so you can at least access the website while you try and diagnose the issue?

3. yllw98stng

yllw98stng Thread Starter

It's not that important that the machines have access to that particular website, and I'm also curious about other sites that we may be having the same issue with that I have not been made aware of. At one time, there were atleast 3 seperate URL's we were trying to access that were having the same issue with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice