1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS Issue...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ddachauer, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ddachauer

ddachauer Thread Starter

Hi All!

I have a DHCP server setup to hand out 3 DNS addresses, the first one is local on our network, the other two are external DNS servers (our ISP's), here's the problem:

If you reboot, then your PC (WinXP) doesn't use the first (local) DNS server (even though it's shown when doing an IPCONFIG /ALL), it goes straight to the external DNS server for lookups. This causes problems because then you cannot access our internal mail server.

If you do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE followed by an IPCONFIG /RENEW, then you're fine until the next reboot. This isn't happening on just one PC, but many!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm going to move you to networking since I don't know too much about this, and it really is a "networking" issue. But you can configure DNS server assignments in the TCP/IP configuration options of the LAN properties -- can't you?

Attached Files:

3. ddachauer

ddachauer Thread Starter

Yes, you can change it in LAN properties, if you want to set up STATIC options...I need this to be dynamically assigned by DHCP.

Sorry, I didn't know you had networking forums.

Thanks

4. datamonger

datamonger

If your DNS server is set up properly, you shouldn't need to use the external DNS server. Are you doing the for redundancy sake?

5. ddachauer

ddachauer Thread Starter

Yes, it's for redundancy...that way if (when) the DNS server is down, we can still get out to the net.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No help on the "Advanced" tab where you can add any number of DNS servers to be used in the order of assignment? If one is down it should proceed to the next.

7. vainot4u

vainot4u

Hi,

How many client machines are we talking about? In the advanced TCP/IP properties you can tell it which DNS servers to query first, second, and so on. Also, I would recommend for fault tolerance a second DNS sever locally and have both servers using forwarders. That would take care of the issue for sure. Just some thoughts hope that helps.

8. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

You can choose to obtain IP address automatically, but still set the DNS servers manually. Personally, I set the first entry to be my router, which is set to have 1 DNS from the ISP and another locally. The second entry is one of the backbone servers at www.root-servers.org

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice