1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS issues with USB modem on windows 7.....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vikrant1982, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikrant1982

vikrant1982 Thread Starter

Hi, i have a USB modem through which i connect to internet on my two laptops. One laptop has windows xp sp3 installed on it and the other one has windows 7.

Recently the windows 7 laptop started having some dns issue. The problem started a few days back, while using internet on my machine, google chrome started showing error 105 "Unable to resolve the server's dns address" for some pages. This wasn't happening all the time, but was happening regularly and the behaviour was not specific to any particular website. In IE 9 i was getting the error "page can not be displayed".

I tried all the fixes mentioned in the forums and also tried scanning for viruses using malwarebytes and avast and was finally able to resolve the issue by changing dns settings for my internet connection. I now use google dns addresses to connect to internet.
    8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

So far everything is working fine but i am still wondering why this happened in the first place and an even bigger question is, why the same connection is working fine on the other laptop running xp sp3 and doesn't need alternate dns addresses to display web pages?

Please help..........

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!