1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS/NIC Not registering

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mspin, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mspin

mspin Thread Starter

This problem has been vexing me for weeks. I have a Win2k SP3 network and domain. I have had to convert (clean install from scratch with a reformat), the Win2k workstations to Standard PC, since the USB printer and scanner drivers and IRQ's will not play nice with ACPI. All firmware, driver, USB, and chip upgrades were installed. These are being setup as a workgroup within a static 192.168. x.x subnet, with the DNS pointing to the internal server NIC, which passes it to the second NIC (multhomed), and then the cable modem/firewall with its own DHCP server. DHCP server is not installed/configured on the Win2k server, since the modem/firewall DHCP server handles the ISP dynamic address assignments .

The problem workstations were orginally in a separate Public organizational unit in AD, and under ACPI, they worked nominally. All workstation DNS and DHCP client services are running. Under Standard PC, the USB printer works, but there is no network connectivity. Under ACPI, the network and Internet connections work, but not the USB printer. The NIC card is a 3Com 3C905Ctx M. From the beginning, the NIC's under Standard PC can send, but not recieve packets. The current NIC driver updates were installed and verified, and device manager indicates no problems. Running a netdiag on it shows the computer cannot register with DNS. DNS was throughly analyzed, even to the point of flushing the cache 3 times, and then completly removing and reconstructing the DNS server and A pointer records from scratch. There were no errors or warnings for the DNS in the Event logs. All network IP settings are exactly the same as under ACPI. I even deleted/recreated the computer object in AD, then deleted the entire organizational unit and rebuilt from scratch, and blocked domain policy inheritence when recreating it. Tried creating a new computer object for that PC outside of the OU with a different name. Reinstalled SP3 and rebooted the server twice. No difference.

What is weird is that I COULD convert all the other PC's not in the original Public OU to Standard PC without a problem. I cannot join the reinstalled Public computer's machine accounts to the domain, apparently due to the inability of the NIC to recieve packets. The initial packet reception problem on the other NIC's went away when the driver was updated. Not on these. All hardware on the network workstations are identical. I tried a new Cat5 cable, moving the NIC to a different slot, and clean installing Win2k with the network cable disconnected. Tried forcing BIOS settings for Standard PC IRQ's in Device Manager (removing MS specifications). Removed the NIC from Device Manager, physically uninstalled cleanly and re-seated. Reset the hubs and cable modem/firewall. No difference.

Before I give up and purchase a new NIC, which may not solve the problem, can anyone tell me if there was something else I missed or could try? Thank you in advance for any sage advice.

mspin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice