1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS not pointing to the correct IP?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Damonc, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    I run a mail server on my DSL service (which the provider is fine with), however yesterday I had to restart my modem which after the IP address changed when the modem connected again everything stopped working..

The mail server runs a wget script to update freedns with the current IP address, which it has successfully done. However when I ping my domain (carsons.net.au) I'm getting the old IP address.

The server has been updating records which has worked for the past 18 months - nothings changed. I'm guessing this is a DNS issue somewhere that is probably out of my hands, but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    try adding 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers in your modem/router and see if that helps.

It could be just the DNS servers are not updated. Is your hosting site have the information too? If so they may be manually resolving your IP address.

3. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    Changed the DNS settings in the modem - Still no go...

As for the hosting site it has my correct IP address to redirect traffic to.. its just not being redirected to that address

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    in command prompt do nslookup <your domain> and see what is the resolving DNS and what info you get.

5. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    OK.. interestingly enough..

When using my ISP's DNS I get this: (Which is my old-old IP)
    Code:
    > carsons.net.au
    Server:		172.16.172.2
    Address:	172.16.172.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:	carsons.net.au
    Address: 121.44.28.174
    Using the DNS you gave me I get this: (which is the last IP i had)

Code:
    > carsons.net.au 
    Server:		172.16.172.2
    Address:	172.16.172.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:	carsons.net.au
    Address: 121.44.214.63
    so it would appear that something is a little slower than normal to filter through...

6. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    Problem solved - well kinda.

Called my ISP and arranged for an immediate plan change to one that I can have a static IP.. I'll then just have to wait for DNS servers around the world to get the update through..

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    yeah that server may have 2 DNS records for you and you recieved one or the other. Hopefully the static IP should fix your issue :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice