Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNS not pointing to the correct IP?

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I run a mail server on my DSL service (which the provider is fine with), however yesterday I had to restart my modem which after the IP address changed when the modem connected again everything stopped working..

The mail server runs a wget script to update freedns with the current IP address, which it has successfully done. However when I ping my domain (carsons.net.au) I'm getting the old IP address.

The server has been updating records which has worked for the past 18 months - nothings changed. I'm guessing this is a DNS issue somewhere that is probably out of my hands, but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions?

#2 ·
try adding 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers in your modem/router and see if that helps.

It could be just the DNS servers are not updated. Is your hosting site have the information too? If so they may be manually resolving your IP address.

#5 ·
OK.. interestingly enough..

When using my ISP's DNS I get this: (Which is my old-old IP)
Code:
> carsons.net.au
Server:		172.16.172.2
Address:	172.16.172.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	carsons.net.au
Address: 121.44.28.174
Using the DNS you gave me I get this: (which is the last IP i had)

Code:
> carsons.net.au 
Server:		172.16.172.2
Address:	172.16.172.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	carsons.net.au
Address: 121.44.214.63
so it would appear that something is a little slower than normal to filter through...

#6 ·
Problem solved - well kinda.

Called my ISP and arranged for an immediate plan change to one that I can have a static IP.. I'll then just have to wait for DNS servers around the world to get the update through..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.