1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS pointing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by neilhwilliams, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neilhwilliams

neilhwilliams Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a client whose domain I have pointed at a specific Ip adress by changing the

'@' type 'A' record and the 'www' type 'A' record (These were the two types of 'a' presented by the domain manager dialog).

I have not changed MXnames or any other settings.

The client had 3 domain name e-mail boxes associated with this domain and he is still receiving mail from the boxes, although he picks them up on a hotmail account as they are forwarded.

The problem is that he cannot 'manage' the domain e-mail boxes through his registrar because the dialog says he has used 0 out of 0 boxes, and they are not listed as having been created.
    they must have been (see above).

Is this a result of me changing the A records, and is it normal ?

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

Most likely, you will need to add a 'mail' A record, but you'll need the details of the mail server from the domain host.

3. neilhwilliams

The domain host DNS management page shows 2x MXNAME records and they are pointed at the hosts servers.

can you confirm that the '@' type 'A' rec is nothing to do with e-mail ?

4. IT-Support

IT-Support

@ is everything else, so for example, if you had www going to one IP but wanted all other prefixes going somewhere else you'd set the @ to that server.

5. neilhwilliams

That's brilliant thankyou. So there should be no reason this guys mailboxes have disappeared from his e-mail management dialog just because I changed those 2 'a' records off to somewhere else?

6. IT-Support

IT-Support

It depends how their site works. If it connects to the mail server configured in the dns management then it wouldnt be able to if the mail server isnt the expected one, and therefore show none. I'd imagine if you add a mail and webmail A record, pointed back to the original server it would fix it. If it doesnt then you'll need to talk to their technical team.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice