1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS problem? (Moved from Windows 10 forum)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by anonslip, Oct 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

So I downloaded a VPN called TunnelBear . I am unaware of what it did to my laptop but now ..

Certain websites I can’t access such as Discord which I use daily. I prioritize private server mmorpg gaming constantly .

I’ve tried many solutions resetting Protocol 4 in adapters settings to 1.0.0.1 / followed by 1.1.1.1 no fix.. so confused . I’ve followed many guides an I’m stuck . Could someone assist me ? I am willing to offer payment for any soul to fix my daily user “laptop”

Error Message: DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    NXDOMAIN means Non-eXistant Domain - it couldn't find the website's information.

Did you change the DNS on the VPN adapter or the main adapter in your computer?

You would want to try a known DNS server, like Google's which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

3. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

I've tried so many methods at this point im completely lost. Reset adapter settings.. CMD > ipconfig /reset >>>> /renew. CMD > ipconfig/ netsh winsock > I mean .. I installed this VPN "Tunnel Bear" used it .. now nothing works.. Facebook allows me to visit its website but .. nothing else . So lost

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you post the IPCONFIG /ALL information when you have the tunnel on? To do this, while the VPN is turned on, type ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt in Command Prompt then when you are able to go online, you can go to C: drive and open the text file you just created and copy/past the information here.

Did you pay for TunnelBear? It slooks like it's a paid service.

5. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

I deleted the VPN its gone now. Also.. it wont allow me to turn it back on once its installed. If I were to install it again this would be 3rd installation . Just informing for you basis of knowledge of the situation.

6. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

Screenshot (74).png

this is wat requested

Attached Files:

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK. Did you get the VPN from TunnelBear's website or somewhere else? McAfee acquired the software in 2018 and since it shows pricing, i wonder if that has something to do with it.

The IP address 169.254.x.x means it doesn't see a DHCP server, so basically you have no network access, but the VPN should have an IP address which i didn't see in that screenshot

8. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That looks like one of those scams where they promise you something like a game or cheat hacks etc and get the run around... While the VPN maybe legitimate, it sounds like there is something more going on there.

I assume you are able to go online now with the VPN uninstalled?

10. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

No , I’ve been trying ridiculous amounts of solutions . Aiming to find a successful outcome , so far all negative . I’ve tried all this.. link provided below .. also The internet works I can watch YouTube videos fine.. It’s certain domains I can’t access . If you would like to acces my computer remotely I’d be more then glad to offer compensation if fixed . If we can come to an agreement .

https://geeksadvice.com/how-to-fix-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-error/

11. anonslip

anonslip Thread Starter

You seem correct about something else is going on . Fishy situation and it’s frustrating . I’ve read so many solutions , troubleshooting methods , and guides where successful for others but not me. At this point I’d rather just try to fix the damage so I don’t have to buy another laptop.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, so let's start from the beginning:

You no longer have the VPN software.
    The screen shot of the IPCONFIG was after the software being removed? If so do you have the computer connected via an Ethernet cable because as it stands, the IP information for the wireless would not allow you to go anywhere.

We can try a reset to see if that helps.

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands (ones in bold):

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice