DNS problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nirvaeh

I have a server and a client connected to a Linksys router. That router is connected to my cable modem. My server is acting as the DNS server with an address of 192.168.0.2. My router is .1. The router assigned my client .11 with DHCP. When I try to join the domain, it tells me that a domain controller for (my domain) could not be contacted. I assigned the DNS server 192.168.0.2 in the router also, but when I do that, I can't use www.google.com, I have to use the IP address. Which leads me to believe that it is a DNS issue. With it not defined, I am free to surf the internet with no problems. I cannot ping the server nor can I get on the internet with the server. Is there another step I need to do to get my domain up. It worked before when I didn't have the router (my server has 2 NICs), but even with the assigned DHCP from the server, my my client didn't have a connection to the net, so I bought a router.

My server now stands as only a domain controller for home.com and it is a DNS server.

Here is what you need to do.

In the router you do not assign anything DNS wise. Let it sit as it is. On the server have your servers DNS entries in the TCP/IP properties point to its own IP 192.168.0.2 or 127.0.0.1 (loopback). Then on the client assign the DNS to be 192.168.0.2.

Then go into the server and in the DNS properties of the server set your forwarders to be your ISP's DNS servers. This way your resolving internal DNS for AD and domain use and then your forwarding any unresolveable requests to your ISP's DNS server for their resolution.

If the router has DNS set to internal it won't get anything from the internet that is why its left external.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online