1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS Problems or is it my Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Salatheon, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Salatheon

Salatheon Thread Starter

I recently moved house and after a few ADSL problems i decided to update my routers firmware, its a "DLINK DSL-504 Generation 2". Once this was done i noticed that i was getting a slightly more stable and faster connection and all was well. However, around 2 days later or so i was unable to connect to my "World of Warcraft" server or browse any secure sites, including hotmail.

When i updated the firmware i noticed that i was unable to browse the net at all until i manually put the DNS in (normally it is set for automatic). I ask you people this, would having to put the DNS in manually have anything to do with not accessing secure sites? including connecting to WoW.

I contacted my ISP but.. well lets just say they werent too helpful.

Thanks in advance.

System info-
    Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz 800FSB
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1Gb Corsair XMS PC 4000
    2x 120Gb SATA HDD's
    DLINK DSL 504- Generation 2 Router

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've run into numerous locations where for some reason, simply manually entering in the actual DNS server's IP address solved a lot of these types of problems. This was with a variety of different routers, ISP's and types of connections, so can't even boil it down to just that. But if it works, then you found a very easy solution as well.

3. Salatheon

Salatheon Thread Starter

I must not have worded it too correctly or i misunderstood your reply. It was working with no problems when i had it set to automatic, but ever since i manually put the DNS in then i have not been able to connect to WoW, hotmail, secure forums, pretty much anything secure.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I guess I'm not sure what you meant by "i noticed that i was unable to browse the net at all until i manually put the DNS "

This seemed to indicate the exact solution I responded to. When you manually put in the DNS entries it works. I was confirming that I have used that more than once as well to solve the same problem.

5. Salatheon

Salatheon Thread Starter

Ahh yes, i posted this quickly and without much thought :p .

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you please give what the exact problem is and how the computers are configured.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice