1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS probs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by milesy_boy, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. milesy_boy

milesy_boy Thread Starter

Hi there, I have a Dell 6000 laptop and a Dell 2350 wireless router, after moving house and isp i'm having wireless probs!! When i connect through modem via usb no probs at all, but when i go wireless, i keep getting DNS errors????

The router and the computer seem 2b connecting ok, when i check the ipconfig with the usb connection i get a completely different set of figures from the wireless ipconfig??

The wireless ipconfig is the usual 192.168.2.1
    tried DNSflush etc, just seems that I'm so close but so far, I have a bit of an idea about settings but I'm a bit beat here peeps, i cannot get on the internet via wireless???

Any help would be appreciated

TIA,

Miles

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you power cycle the modem when switching from USB to ethernet? Is the router getting a connection to and communicating with your ISP?

3. milesy_boy

milesy_boy Thread Starter

The router doesn't seem to be getting through to my ISP, not sure what u mean about the power cycle thing, excuse my ignorance, but i reboot the laptop,modem and router when I change from USB to wireless.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power cycle simply means to unplug or turn off for a few seconds and then plug in or turn on.

For most people that seems to be all it takes.

Can you successfully connect a PC by ethernet to the modem?

A few ISPs keep track of the MAC address of the device connected to the modem. If that is true for your ISP then you need to clone your router's WAN MAC address to the MAC address used for the PC when it connects via USB.

With my cable ISP when I switch my modem from USB to ethernet or back I have to register as if I am changing modems. Maybe your ISP requires the same.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice