1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS Server communication problems /IP renewal issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stezo220, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stezo220

stezo220 Thread Starter

Hello. I'm having some seriously frustrating issues regarding internet connection. I have been trying to fix the problem myself all day using bits and pieces of information I've found on similar articles on the internet but I haven't completely solved it. I'm going to try and provide as much information as I possibly can hopefully somebody can shed some light for me!

My parents have a Windows Vista desktop computer with a Westell Model 2200 DSL modem from Verizon. I have a Windows XP Service pack 3 laptop. In order for me to connect wirelessly, we purchased a Linksys router back in 2008. The router is connected to the modem by an ethernet cable and I'm able to connect on my laptop. My parents however seem to have a completely different connection-- the only network that ever shows as available for them is Broadband PPPoE.

The problem arose this morning when I couldn't seem to connect to the internet. The bars on the bottom right showed as completely blank no matter what I attempted to connect to--though it didn't show a red X or anything. I opened the utility and found I had to reenter the password (which was a 26 digit password I had written down and couldnt find) so I went on my parents computer, typed in the IP for the router and reset the password.) What ended up happening was I somehow connected but with Limited or No Connectivity. I spent the entire day trying to repair it but could not renew my IP address (this was the error that popped up no matter which solution I tried.) Eventually I remembered the last time I had this issue I had slid the small button on the left side of the laptop and it sort of cleared my wireless allowing me to reconnect. I did this, after poking around a bit in the router settings, and was able to reconnect even though it did give me a DNS error.

Now apparently, the internet won't work on my parents computer at all. Any attempt to connect to Broadband results in the error "Cannot communication with Primary DNS Server." The ipconfig commands in CMD won't work on their computer at all, saying these commands need elevation. Verizon has been no help at all, saying they'll charge $130 for someone to come check it out in 2 weeks.

Sorry for writing a novel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end over here..:(

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the Vista attempting to connect to the Westell modem/router or to the Linksys router?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. stezo220

stezo220 Thread Starter

Sorry we actually just ended up switching to a different internet service.. thanks for your response though! Is there any way to delete this thread or does it expire on its own?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It will close on its own after awhile.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice