1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNS/Windows 2000 How-To?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by webmin, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webmin

webmin Thread Starter

Hi,

I have installed a new server for my development use. I need to be able to test web sites from the actual domain e.h. some.foo.com instaed of running localhost. So i think i need to use dns, i have installed win2k adv. server/full install so ive got everything i need. The web server software is apache_1.3.22 running on a cygwin enviroment.

So if someone could show me i use dns for local. Heres some ionfo on the server:

Windows 2000 Adv. Server (Build: 2195)
    Full Windows 2000 Installation
    CYGWIN Enviroment (Latest)
    Apache_1.3.22

(just dns info)
    emcb.co.uk
    mxn.com

Cheers,

Elfyn

2. brianF

brianF

moved per user request

3. Rockn

Rockn

Not sure you can use DNS locally to resolve network addresses. Never done it before and would be interested if it can be done. If the addresses are already registered domains on the internet you can't do it internally. Just use an IP address for development and when you upload to the live server just keep all the directory structure the same. The domain makes no difference.

4. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

You cant just edit your HOSTS file?
    --Adam

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice