Dns

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jennifer771

I have Configure DNS on Linux 9,It is working fine when i tested on server using NSLOOKUP.
But when i tested from client machine which is Windows 2000
it is giving error as cant find server name with address 192.x.x.x :no responce from server.

can anybody tell me what wrong with configuration.
do i require any changes at server end inorder , windows client get DNS query answers fron Linux DNS server

if you configure your hosts file on your PC are you able to connect from the client?

Maybe you should try to troubleshoot by eliminating the obvious first, such as, are you able to connect to the Linux server at all? Make sure the workstation is good before looking at the server.

You may have already tried this... just an idea.

it sounds like you tested to make sure the linux server could resolve dns names. In that sense the server is acting like a dns client to whoever the server is set to on it.

To get it to act as a dns server you need to run a program like BIND that servers dns entries to the client machines. This is a complicated process. Have fun and hope this clears it up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online