1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DNSAPI.dll Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roseeinstein, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roseeinstein

roseeinstein Thread Starter

Everytime any program tries to connect to the internet. I get an error that says that the application/component/etc failed to load/strart because dnsapi.dll was not found.
    I'm running xp 64. I don't have sp3, just sp2, but I can't exactly remedy that right now.
    Sys restore doesn't want to function anymore. I get a message that says that it is unable to protect my computer.
    I've rebooted several times, since the error messages suggested it.
    Also, the 'missing file' is in the system32 folder. I checked.
    Any ideas on how I can get back on the net and blast the little error messages?
    Thanks!

2. fel1x

fel1x

pop xp 64 bit disc in then start run type sfc /scannow

3. roseeinstein

I don't have the disk. Someone else built the computer and didn't give us the disks.

4. fel1x

fel1x

I am not sure about this, think i read somewhere about a worm and its link to dnsapi.dll as its a dns dll file , if the above does not help, to safeguard yourself click report and ask to move to the spyware/malware security forum, the guys are very busy there

5. fel1x

fel1x

the missing file will probably be either corrupted or should not actually be there or is a wrong one , please click the report button as i said just in case i am right (doubtfull though!!)

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

NOTE: There is no Service Pack 3 for the 64-bit version of Windows XP. If you are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP with Service Pack 2, you are on the latest service pack and will continue to be eligible for support and receive updates until April 8, 2014.

In relation to your problem
    1. Run "chkdsk /f" either from command prompt or from My Computer, right click hard drive, properties, tools, error checking, etc.

Post back and we will then run the system file checker, without the CD by altering a registry key.

BEFORE DOING THIS what anti-virus do you use and HAVE you used a registry cleaning/booster program - PLEASE DO NOT DO SO.

7. roseeinstein

I use Avast, it should have been up to date, but I cannot even open it right now.
    I did run a registry cleaner, but did not delete anything unless I knew what it was... I'm still never doing that again.
    I did the chkdsk thing, that didn't help.
    I did some more digging and found an xp64 disc, so I did the scannow thing. That didn't help either.
    This is my parents computer, so I'm not 100% sure of what has been being used and what not, but Avast should at least be up to date.

8. Macboatmaster

Did SFC run without difficulty or was retry necessary on occasions.

Go Event log please and post the error for system restore and the error for IE

9. roseeinstein

I have never run sfc before, so I don't know for sure if it ran smoothly or not. It took awhile to run, but it never actually told me anything. I ran it again anyway, rebooting each time.

As for the error messages:

This is the one that seems to pop-up all the time: (I think)
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7001
    Date: 1/29/2011
    Time: 5:40:05 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOE-PYFXJSZETUJ
    Description:
    The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service depends on the DHCP Client service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The dependency service or group failed to start.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This is the system restore error:
    Event ID: 7023
    Time: 6:02:55 PM
    Description:
    The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I didn't have any IE errors. I don't get any errors when attempting to connect in a browser, just the standard, page cannot be displayed thing. But this is what happens when I try to open Avast! I also re-installed this just to be sure... it didn't help.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event ID: 26
    Time: 6:04:01 PM
    Description:
    Application popup: AvastUI.exe - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to start because DNSAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

10. Macboatmaster

DHCP Client service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The dependency service or group failed to start.

Go Control Panel Admin functions, services, check DHCP is automatic startup by double clicking that entry if not set it as such. using arrow to the right. Then click on the dependencies and check those.

Go My Computer , ON the tools tab, folder options, view, click to show hidden files and folders and click to uncheck hide protected operating system files, agree the warning and check that the Restore points are shown in system volume information folder.

11. Macboatmaster

I know this does not really help you
    Please therefore do not be annoyed
    However I think this has all the indications of a registry cleaner.
    I know you say "I did not delete anything unless I knew what it was".
    The problem is this.
    I know the article is long BUT I provide it only to try and convince you that when and if you get this working - PLEASE keep away from them.
    Please accept my advice, in case you are not certain it is correct -
    HOWEVER to try and convince you and for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this thread and thinking of using a registry cleaner -
    There is generally speaking no such thing as a TRUSTED registry fix.
    See this:
    http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

and this
    After running 'PC registry Cleaner' on my laptop with Win7professional I now cannot access windows explorer [returns a no association message] and some programs will not install.

And there is the proof in the pudding that Registry Cleaners do more damage than they solve.

OR THIS - on a brand new computer
    Registry Errors in brand new PC
    Scanning Report
    Total scan items: 296239
    Total errors found: 132
    High risk error count: 12
    Count of errors recommended to ignore: 0
    5 Add/Remove Programs
    0 Browser Helper Objects & Configuration Files
    10 Custom Controls
    43 Deep Registry Scan
    0 Device Drivers
    20 File Extensions
    0 Help and Resource, & History Lists
    6 Invalid ActiveX
    42 Invalild Files Path
    and here is the reply from a very experienced Geek-with ack to "gerryf"

"You can install a brand new, pure OEM copy of Windows straight from Microsoft and it will likely find 120 "errors"
    What I am saying is they are not really errors, they are conditions a programmer has decided are errors"

and I Macboatmaster would add that the errors found by these programs are far too frequently not errors, but the deletion of the registry key by the program, causes REAL errors, insofar as the deleted key corrupts the registry due to the inter-association of multiple keys amongst the hundreds of entries in the registry.

Registry Structure: The Tree, Nodes and Keys
    The data is stored in the registry in a tree structure format, for those who have never opened the Registry Editor, you'd find its layout is similar to what you would see when you open your Windows Explorer. Each node within the registry tree contains a key which may have both subkeys and data entries (called values). Depending on the application you run, the application may need only the associated key while others may need the value data set for that specific key. A hive in the registry is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data. The Windows boot process automatically retrieves data from these supporting files.

AND my attempt to explain it in simple terms - therein lies the problem with the so-called registry cleaner/optimizer programs. the program decides what is not needed and can be deleted. However, frequently the inter-dependance of the various branches of the tree are not recognised by the program AND this is where it goes horribly wrong. - Macboatmaster

That all said, it is YOUR computer - the decision is yours.

It is a pre-prepared - copy and paste, so please do not be offended.

12. roseeinstein

I"m not offended at all. I'm out of my depth here, so all advice and words of caution are appreciated!

The DHCP startup is set to automatic, currently not running. Tried to Start the service and received another error:

Event ID: 7001
    Time: 7:05:39 PM
    Description:
    The DHCP Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I checked and there are files in the system volume information that look like restore points.

As for the registry thing. I ran that after I had problems. I was not able to connect the internet at that time either. The face of the error message has not changed. When I looked back, this is the error message I was getting yesterday:
    Event Source: Disk
    Event ID: 7
    Date: 1/28/2011
    Time: 10:01:38 AM
    Description:
    The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Data:
    0000: 03 00 80 00 01 00 d2 00 ..?...Ò.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 04 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 01 00 00 9c 00 00 c0 ....?..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 ae 8d c3 00 00 00 00 .®Ã....
    0028: 0d 7f 03 00 00 00 00 00 .......
    0030: ff ff ff ff 01 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
    0038: 58 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 X..?....
    0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . [email protected] @
    0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
    0050: 00 30 ed bc 00 00 00 00 .0í¼....
    0058: 38 06 12 e8 df fa ff ff 8..èßúÿÿ
    0060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0068: 10 f0 11 e8 df fa ff ff .ð.èßúÿÿ
    0070: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0078: d7 c6 61 00 00 00 00 00 ×Æa.....
    0080: 28 00 00 61 c6 d7 00 00 (..aÆ×..
    0088: 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0090: f0 00 03 00 00 00 00 0b ð.......
    0098: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    00a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

From what I understand. This all started when Avast detected a threat, Mom moved it to the chest. She didn't have anymore problems that day. Next morning she got the error message for the first time. She didn't touch it after that. I looked at it, couldn't access internet at that time either. I used system restore to reset it. I chose a point at Thursday afternoon because Mom said it was still working well then. I haven't been able to use Sys restore since.

13. Macboatmaster

I think you may have missed part of my post.

14. Macboatmaster

Just read the last part of your last post re bad block on hard drive.
    Go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /R Agree to restart,type:EXIT
    Restart.
    This is a five stage check it will take sometime. DO NOT INTERRUPT IT.
    If you do not have time to read the results when the computer reboots go event viewer, click application on left hand pane and scroll to the first Winlogon you come to, that should be the results of the chkdsk.
    If it HAS found bad sectors. - the HDD is more than likely failing.

BACK up any personal data you wish to keep.

Note please - I am going to sign off about 0200.
    I will get your results, about 1800hrs Sunday.
    Someone else may of course pick up the thread before.
    Good luck, hope at least we then know if the HDD is failing.
    Although I suspect that other problems may have existed.

15. roseeinstein

Sorry, I didn't miss it. I misunderstood. As far as I can tell they all seem to be set to run automatically, one was manual. I changed it. I'm not 100% sure what you want me to do in the Dependancies tab.
    I see
    AFD
    TCP/IP Protocol Drive
    IPSEC driver

And in the second box there is:
    Win HTTPWebProxy Auto-Discovery Service

That's it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!