1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do Dell laptops have CMOS jumpers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piscespassion, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I'm trying to locate the CMOS jumpers in/on my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505), but I've only removed the keyboard so far, not the rest of the plate that covers the motherboard. I tried to find images of what exactly they would look like, but found alot of comments in reference to laptops "not having them"... but then again found some comments stating that "some laptops do".
    Aside from calling Dell, does anyone know of Dell laptops having them? If so, where about? And should removing the plate covering my motherboard be safe if done with caution? Or is there something else I should know about removing that particular plate?
    Thx~Rose

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

Do a Google search for the model of your computer and the terms, "service manual", in quotes. If it has CMOS-clear contacts, that would be your best bet. On a laptop, if it has such, it will probably not be jumpers, only a solder point.

3. piscespassion

Ok, I've gone to Dell's Service Manual (online) and thought I'd include the following info...
    The list/index consists of the following:
    *Before You Begin
    *System Components
    *Optical Drive
    *Hard Drive
    *Memory Module(s)
    *Modem
    *Mini-Card
    *Internal Card With Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
    *Hinge Cover
    *Keyboard
    *Display Assembly
    *Palm Rest
    *Coin-Cell Battery
    *Speakers
    *Processor Thermal-Cooling Assembly
    *Processor Module
    *Video Card/Thermal-Cooling Assembly
    *System Fan
    *ExpressCard/Hard-Drive Bay Assembly
    *System Board
    *Battery Latch Assembly
    *Flashing the BIOS
    *Pin Assignments for I/O Connectors
    And the System Components consists of the following:
    -display assembly
    -hinge cover
    -keyboard
    -palm rest (with touch pad)
    -computer base
    -hard drive
    -processor
    -system board
    -ExpressCard/Hard-Drive Bay Assembly
    -main battery
    -video card/thermal-cooling assembly
    -processor thermal-cooling assembly
    -speakers (2)
    -fan
    -optical drive
    And the image(s) of the above is at the following link:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/SM/compnts.htm#wp999507

Does this mean I don't stand a chance of resetting the BIOS???
    Thx!

4. Alex Ethridge

I don't see anything in the manual about CMOS so I guess the best bet would be to remove the battery from the board, short its terminals in the socket and let it sit for about a day.

If that doesn't clear it, I don't know what will.

Can you tell me why you want to clear the CMOS?

5. piscespassion

Thank you... How would I short its terminals in the socket??
    (My daughter & some girlfriends went on vacation (from Thxgvg thru Xmas) down south then to Vegas. My daughter bought the laptop from one of her friends, and it worked fine while they were using it. When my daughter and a few friends returned up North, some of the girls stayed in Vegas, and amongst them the seller of the laptop. My daughter didn't try to use it until after New Year's, and it turns out it is now locked. Unfortunately, the girl who sold it to her has not returned and her cell phone is disconnected now. I was trying to fix it for my daughter, since a fresh install of Windows is always best.)
    [Maybe a new hard drive would be the easiest (or perhaps the only) option.]

6. Alex Ethridge

Paper clip.

What do you mean by "locked". Exactly what message is on the screen--exact wording?

7. valis

valis Moderator

bios password, best guess. Can't even boot to windows right now?

8. Alex Ethridge

BIOS password--maybe; but, if it is "Password Authentication System", the solution is entirely different and clearing the CMOS will be of absolutely no use whatsoever, neither will putting in a new hard disk.

That's why I need an answer to post number 6. The solutions are entirely different depending on this "lock" piscespassion mentions.

9. piscespassion

THIS COMPUTER SYSTEM, #ABC123-456D, IS PROTECTED BY A PASSWORD AUTHENTICATION SYSTEM. YOU CAN NOT ACCESS THE DATA ON THIS COMPUTER WITHOUT THE CORRECT PASSWORD. PLEASE TYPE IN THE SYSTEM OR ADMINISTRATIVE PASSWORD AND PRESS ENTER.
    (Note: The ABC123 number of course is different, I just made that one up, but the rest of the error message is on a white screen, which appears when I power on, without bootup or startup. If I insert any one of my OS cds (XP + SP3, or Win98, or 2000, I have several), a black screen with an "Invalid Configuration" error message telling me to "Run Setup", but I can't... and after about 30-60 seconds, the white screen appears again asking for the system or admin password. If you scroll up, I explained my daughter's purchase of this used laptop.)

10. valis

valis Moderator

Yup, that's a bios password. Unfortunately, we cannot assist with bypassing passwords of ANY type, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to close this one up.

It's mentioned on the rules page.

Thanks for understanding,

v

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

BIOS passwords are deliberately hard to bypass as a theft prevention measure. If Dell tech support can't help you, you're out of luck.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

On most new Laptops, even removing the CMOS Battery will NOT help.
    There is a chip on the motherboard that holds the password and it does not need power.
    Removing or trying to override this chip disables the board.

13. valis

valis Moderator

yup. You can remove the cmos battery for a year and it's not going to make a difference. The bios chip is called 'firmware' as it's hardware with software encoded on it. The password itself is stored in the bios chip, which, once encoded, does not need juice to remember it.

Got a buddy that's been with Phoenix bios about a decade or so now.........fun stuff.

And jumping them is a great way to make a paperweight. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice