1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do Firefox and the Mozilla browser interpret HTML identically?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Stiltzkin, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I was going to put this in the internet forum, but I think it's more pertinent to web development.

As far as I know, Firefox is basically an awsomer version of the Mozilla browser that doesn't come with any extra utilities or apps. But do they interpret HTML (or CSS, etc.) any differently from eachother?

I currently test my pages in the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, and Opera. Any others you can suggest?

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

They both use the Gecko rendering engine, but there are still version differences that can cause pages to render differently between the two browsers. Netscape 7 also uses a version of Gecko.

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Basically you should focus on the different rendering engines.

Presto - Opera
    Gecko - Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany, Camino, K-Meleon, Netscape
    ICab - ICab
    Webcore - Safari, Omniweb
    Trident - IE
    KHTML - Konqueror, Safari

Of course if you just have Windows, IE, Firefox, Netscape, K-Meleon, Opera and Mozilla will do; meaning you test in a Trident, Presto and Gecko browser.

For gecko browsers, you could just test with the latest version of Firefox and you'll find that most of the time, all the other gecko browsers will render the same or close to it.

For Opera, just test with the latest version. Some like to user older versions of Opera, but I wouldn't worry about anything before Opera 7.54u2.

Opera and Firefox don't already do everything excactly the same across platforms, so if you can test on other platforms you should.

For IE, do whatever you want.

Don't forget about text-based browsers like lynx and don't forget about cell-phones etc. (Opera has a scr mode. shift+f11)

If you are using XHTML served as application/xhtml+xml, you automatically throw out lynx and IE. (unless you sniff and server them text/html versions.)

If you want a bigger list, goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_layout_engines

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers#Gecko-based_browsers

But as B said, different versions can render differently.

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386451