1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do firewalls change the embedded links on incoming emails

Discussion in 'General Security' started by LarryGarfield, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryGarfield

LarryGarfield Thread Starter

Hello

First, I am a programming novice - so please treat me as such.

I have just launched a website. As part of my service I send a newsletter to clients. Within that newsletter are links to articles on my website.

For some clients, not behind corporate firewalls, the links work ok.

For other clients, behind bank corporate firewalls, the links seem to be dead, even though the pages are there.

Do corporate firewalls somehow change the links in a way that make them non-usable? If so, what can I do to make sure the links work?

Here's the error the clients reported:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Invalid URI in request GET /../../../../index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177&Itemid=143 HTTP/1.1

2. sab0900

sab0900

The quick answer is yes. Firewalls do have the ability to block just about anything they want. It also could be the email client that is disabling the links. The latter is the more likely thing going on. Both these things are done in the name security of course, so there is not much you can do as a white hat-wearing web designer that is going to circumvent the security measures put in place at these locations. The best thing you can do is type out the hyperlinks and instruct your recipents to copy and paste them into a browser.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!