1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I backup my computer first or install Anti Virus first?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by BrianJones, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianJones

BrianJones Thread Starter

I have a new laptop and other than the factory settings from Dell, I have only installed HJT and one other program suggested here on the forum so I can post logs.

At this point I want to now install Anti Virus software (hopefully something free, but if i must pay for a quality program I would pay for it too) but also need to back up my laptop on an external hard drive (to protect me and my small business). Which one should I be doing first between these two next stages?

thank you in advance.

2. ETech7

ETech7

Backup is not something you do only once, especially when you run a business. So set up a backing up schedule starting from now.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I see that you've had a lot of advice on backing up in your other thread, so to anti virus ... put that in place as soon as you connect to the internet through wireless or ethernet, whichever method you'll be using.

Whether you backup beforehand or afterwards is entirely your choice.

Microsoft Security Essential is free and well regarded in this forum.
    More info on MSE: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Hope this helps?
    Richard

4. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

Well, BrianJones, there are a couple of issues to consider here. What OS is your new computer running? Win7 includes what I'd consider a better backup utility overall than Win8, but Windows 8 includes Windows Defender (essentially equivalent to Microsoft Security Essentials) so it has at least basic antivirus/antimalware protection included. The Windows Defender in Windows 7 is just crappy antimalware protection.

I'd say with a new computer where you haven't invested much time in installing software and don't have data files on it that are irreplaceable, I would try to be sure the system is protected against viruses and other malware first, then address backups. Anytime you are online, you are exposed to advertising that may contain malware, and even legitimate sites are frequently hacked and may host malware.

Whether you are running Win7 or Win8, my recommendation for security software would be either NOD32, or Kaspersky, in that order. I prefer basic protection over the Security Suites and the like,but that's material for another thread. For what it's worth, I run NOD32 on six computers running a mix of XP, Win7, and Win8. I also have coughed up the dough to purchase Malwarebytes AntiMalware Pro.

When it comes to backup software, I think that Windows 7 offers functional (albeit basic) full system and document backup. Windows 8 has much more sophisticated and flexible document backup, but is lacking in full system backup.

Once again, for either OS, I'd suggest Acronis True Image Home. It provides functionality you won't find with the backup utilities in either Win7 or Win8. If you have Win7, you can set up an effective backup plan without third party software, but I'm not so happy with backup in Windows 8.

5. BrianJones

BrianJones Thread Starter

I have Win 8. are both NOD32 and Kaspersky free? are they only anti virus or do they help with firewall too and malware too? Thank you fo ryour help!

does Acronis True Image Home offer a full system backup that I would need for my constant backing up and for small business reasons?

6. ETech7

ETech7

Only as a trial
    There are different suite/versions with various features.

For backup imaging also consider ShadoeProtect.

7. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

NOD32 and Kaspersky aren't free, and even the basic versions offer generalized antimalware protection (though I'd still buy MBAM Pro), and there are Security Suites from both companies, but I mostly prefer to avoid that product category.

Windows 8 is very good at document backup, but True Image offers more functionality and customization options, as well as other useful tools. You should take a look at their web site for detailed information.

8. techno12

techno12

Any good free software for system back-up ??

9. ETech7

ETech7

ShadowProtect by StorageCraft. Not cheap, but very good... arguably the best.

10. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

If you run Win7, backup is very good. Vista's backup is clunky but usable, and Win 8 is document oriented, though it also includes some basic recovery tools. Otherwise, I'd say that most of the free backup utilities are crippled and not too desirable.

Anyway, you need to understand that you don't "buy" a computer. It's more like adopting a child; you always have to buy food, shoes, clothing, etc. Man up and accept the costs.

11. adelejukerberg

adelejukerberg

As you have Win. 8, so do not worry about anything. Buy an external hard disk for backup purposes. Virus will be handled by Windows.

Viruses can be easily removed, but if you lose your data and you do not have backup, then you will be needed to spend some money for buying a windows data recovery software.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice