1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have a dead PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cchaplin1985, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cchaplin1985

cchaplin1985 Thread Starter

Alrighty, let me begin by saying that the PC I am asking about now belongs to my friend, I was it's only previous owner. Sticking only to the pertinent information. It's a Gateway GT5238E. I've added a BFGTech Nvidia 9800 GT 512MB PCI-E.
    Now for my issue, It only does one of three things.

1.) Press the power button and it shuts off within 2 seconds.
    2.) Press the power button and it shuts off within 10 seconds.
    3.) Press the power button and it turns on and stays on... but doesn't send any video signal to the monitor through any of the three DVI ports. I don't have anything VGA to test the VGA output. (If information gained here leads me to believe this may be helpful, I might pursue VGA)

Following #3 above. Based on sound alone; The CPU fan cuts on for about 8 seconds then slows down. The rear case fan seems to be struggling to keep up pace, the video card fan runs full blast (easily would win the 300 meter dash if all the fans were competing) Hard Drives seem to be reading fine. No clicking or unusual sounds.

I've tried a 550 Watt Power Supply, It didn't fit the motherboard's 24-pin slot (it only had 20-pins) Which shouldn't have mattered.
    I've tried unplugging the nonessential hardware (DVD-ROM, Video Card)
    When I unplug the video card, the Power Supply emits a high pitch beep and it shuts off.

I am trying to save any and all of this PC if it's possible because my friend doesn't have a lot of money to replace it.
    What else have I not tried?

2. cchaplin1985

I forgot to mention that all of my hardware is up and running when #3 above occurs, as well as the LED indicators on my keyboard and mouse.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like an old power supply if it doesn't have a 24 pin main power connector, note that the extra 4 pins clip on/off the 20 pin connector so maybe you just need to clip it on. Ideally you should be using a 24(20+4) pin PSU. The stock PSU's in Gateway are horrendous and fail easily sometimes taking out the whole system as they go.

4. cchaplin1985

I was using the 20-pin power supply I received from a buddy just to simply check and see if the computer was able to be saved, So would it be worth him spending the money on a power supply if it could possibly be the motherboard that's gone?

5. Mogoamerica

Mogoamerica

The video card can screech if you unplug the power to it. Did you pull the whole video card out or just unplug power to it?

Power supply units will screech if they are bad.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

6. cchaplin1985

I just unplugged it. the power supply screeched when I unplugged the video card, but I did not remove it completely. The cable management is horrible and i'm not quite sure how i'm going to get it out of there.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Certainly trying to use a 20 pin motherboard main connector on a machine with a PCIe card would have mattered. A PCIe card power supply has to be 24 pins since pins 11, 12, 23 and 24 supply 75 watts of power to the PCIe bus. Without the 4 extra pins there is no way a PCIe card is going to work. Jump a known good 24 pin power supply with sufficient amperage to the board to test it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice