1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do i have a firewall,how to manage it

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by biggrobbstud, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biggrobbstud

biggrobbstud Thread Starter

i recently had virus trouble where i hd to repair win xp. i enstalled a personal firewall but had some problems with it so i uninstalled it. i think i still have a firewall somewhere though. possibly because my repair of xp was with service pack 2 which i believe has its own firewall.
    in either case how can i find out if i have one and how can i manage it. i cant make any internet connection and i think the reason is a firewall. thank you.

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Start>Control Panel>Network Connection , Highlight and right click >properties> advanced , You should see if it is checked or not .

3. biggrobbstud

its not checked but could a firewall override that obtion. i checked my sprint connection but my aol doesnt show up in network connections. when i try to hook up with aol it makes all the noises but it cuts me off after step 4. it said something was stopping it.

4. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

When you installed SP2 you may have been given the option to activate the XP one or not .

You should have one activated .

5. biggrobbstud

i dont remembe that option. i probably did either way with the recent virus trouble. in ny case how do i turn off or uninstall so i can ue the internet

6. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Close all windows and look in add/remove or in all programs .

You could also do a search for th eprogram that you installed to see if it still on the computer

7. biggrobbstud

ok i did all that plus more and nothin. the only thing i can think is that my ports are off. do you know how i can check my ports or reset them. i dont know whats goin on. i even tried doing a repair install and still got nothin. somebody please help. i take online classes and im falling way behind

8. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html You can get a free firewall here

Follow the above link and download Ad-Aware SE Update it and put it ona disk Run it on your problem computer in safe mode and get rid of anything it finds .

Then scan with Housecall and Panda . Let us know how you make out .

9. biggrobbstud

i ran ad aware personal edition. sme thing. ran cw shredder ran spybot. ran webroot spy sweeper. i got nothin. i just dont understand. when i do a startup, i get this thing called a modem on hold utility. any idea what that is. i can enable or disable it but it apparently it doesnt do anything.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How do you connect to the internet? Who is your ISP?

11. biggrobbstud

when im on the road like now, its aol. when im out in the open its sprint through my cell phone. wifi at home. but i wont be there for a while. i dont know why but anything that needs to dial up is shot.when i connect with sprint everything connects like it should but it stops after it gets 179 kb's aol disconnects after step 4 when its getting network info.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice