1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have a hacker?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by poochee, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Several things have occurred in the last week.

1. There were messages in my spam filter with nothing in the subject line. I deleted them. I got a few more today.

2. I got 4 messages in my email today entitled: Notification of undelivered messages. I opened one and it also had nothing in the subject line. I deleted them.

3. A couple days ago, (I am on dial-up) when I tried to disconnect I couldn't. I got a message that there was another user with programs still running. I am the only user. I finally did C/A/D to get out. I checked this one out on google. And from what I read this could have just been a MS program problem. However, with item 1 and 2, I am wondering if I have a hacker?

I use XP.

Comments will be appreciated.

2. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

3. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

More likely, you have a basic malware problem, poochee.

4. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thanks. So far today all has been quiet.

5. hewee

hewee

I have gotten a couple Notification of undelivered messages in my inbox and junk folder on a web base email account and I just delete them. Never open the email if you know it's junk. They are spambots looking for good email address. You can view email in plain text and that is safer. If this is your ISP get MailWasher. Then you could look at it safey from the mail server in plain text and then delete it. I hope you did not get anything on your computer.
    Sent out a email to yourself and then see of only one email goes out. After you get your email back look at it and also look at the sent email and see how it is addressed to see if it is the same. That is TO: poochee and no other names are there in the TO:, CC:, or BCC:.

6. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thanks Hewee! I passed the email test! Also, I haven't had any odd happenings in a couple days.

7. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

I've seen tons of these kinds of messages and they are usually the result of "Joe job" attack of some kind. In some cases, the "From" address in the spam that sent out is usually some bogus, non-existent account.

There is a TON of spam floating around these days. It's just crazy. :)

Peace...

8. hewee

hewee

Good to hear poochee. :)

Yes tomdkat they are email with spam or web bugs that are just to find out if you open the email so they know your address is good.
    That is why I never open them but just delete them. If it is your ISP then use mailwasher to delete from the server. If you can see the email address it is from you can check to see if it is fake and most times it is.
    Free Email Address Verifier
    http://verify-email.org/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694611