1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

do i have a lost cause

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wacor, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wacor

wacor Banned Thread Starter

soemthing is messing with my browsers and spybot, adware, euido, and smart cop are not finding it.

aol wont load, hit the shortcut and nothing, tried remove and reinstall and it works for a little and then same thing.

now internet explorer and netscape are acting up where they start to load and then a message says it has to shut down.

i tried to cut and past a hijack report and the second i right click to paste it in this message it shuts down the internet explorer.

anybody have a clue how to try to find the bug or do i have another lost cause. and need to reinstall windows?

would there be any chance a windows repair would be of any benefit. i am assuming not!

thanks in adavance for any advice

2. sportscrazy

sportscrazy

I'm going on a hunch but I guess installing Firefox might help...and what Anti-Virus are you running at the moment? Is it upto date?

3. wacor

running AVG free edition

have not been happy with McAfee or Norton and somebody recommended AVG

i have installed firefox but did not really like the lack of a start up page as far as latest news etc. compared to other browsers. I have hear though that it is more secure? Is that true and if so wondering why. Also had a guy make the comment about using Puppy Linux a while back and never having viruses. I know that is another type of OS but will any windows stuff work on it??

thanks for the response

4. junker39

junker39

You can set your Firefox start page to any you want it to be. Open Firefox, go to Tools and select Options. In the General tab, set the homepage.
    Firefox is more secure than IE at the moment. Give the bad guys time and it will have security flaws discovered also. And they will be fixed just like MS keeps patching IE. A lot of people don't like IE or MS but they don't seem smart enough to make something better themselves. Just something to gripe about.
    As far as Linux, do a google search and you can learn all about it.

5. mike5426

mike5426

If your computer is that badly off and if it were me, I would reformat anyway. A problem like that probably would take a long time to fix. Even after fixing it, the computer will most likely not run as well as after a fresh format.

6. wacor

Mike 5426

I know what you mean. just hate the thought of going thru all the pain in the neck stuff to reformat

I still have another problem which i have not figured out which dates back some time. I have a Driver that is bad but can not figure out which one. I reformatted about 3 months ago after giving up trying to fix stuff when my scanner was giving me troubles. within a couple days i got a shut down and still get it periodically. there had been no viruses as i had been very careful about stuff on the internet. still get the periodic shut down and windows says it is a bad driver but have not installed anything new since the last boot up

go figure eh

7. sportscrazy

sportscrazy

I've just had to reformat and give a fresh install to my hard drive, and I also formatted another drive (20 gig) as a slave. It took a while to get back all my software and the windows updates but in the end it's running smoothly and I would say it's worth the trouble...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice