1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have a Static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mypxh02, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mypxh02

mypxh02 Thread Starter

Hello

I wonder if anyone could tell me if my IP address is static (86.142.70.194).

Thanks MYPXH02

2. Rockn

Rockn

Dunno, are you paying for a static IP address from your ISP? If not then you don't have a static IP address. Most ISPs only sell blocks of IP addresses anyway.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My guess would be no, you would know if your ISP offered static IP addresses.

4. PirateFishFinges

PirateFishFinges

unlpug your modem or whatever? to reset the connection! if it changes then its certainly not static. i find this method is the best.

5. JohnWill

However, it's not foolproof. Unless you unplug for greater than the DHCP lease time, you'll normally get the same IP address back anyway.

6. PirateFishFinges

PirateFishFinges

ohwell fair enough. honestly i was just bored, i dont usually post answers to questions. my ip always changes even if i disconnect loads and it always changes. i didnt know that dhcp leases carried over if you reconnect. learn something new i guess :p

7. JohnWill

I've written DHCP servers for a couple of embedded systems, so I'm pretty familiar how they should work. ;)

8. PirateFishFinges

PirateFishFinges

its cool im not trying to argue with you! i believe you! promise! :eek:

9. mypxh02

mypxh02 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's, I will unplug the router and check the IP address again.

MYPXH02

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If your PC is connected directly to the modem, in Network Connections right click on your connection - Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties.

If 'obtain IP auto ..' is selected, you do not have a static IP. Otherwise you will see your static IP there.

11. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Simple answer "ask your ISP". My WAN IP is supposed to be dynamic but I don't think it has ever changed. If you need a static IP you can likely get one from your ISP, for a nominal fee that is.;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570037