1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have an AGP Slot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pengu1029, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

Okay, I was wondering how to tell if I have any available AGP or PCI slots on my computer. The current graphics 'card' is one of those integrated chips, and I wanted to get a real card. Is there any way to tell which type of slots I have? Preferably without opening up the computer, but I will if I have to.

My comp specs might help, so here they are

Comp Specs:
    Sony Vaio
    Model: PCV-RX730(UC)
    1.7 Ghz Intel Celeron
    227 MB RAM
    32 MB Integrated Graphics Chip
    14.9 GB hard drive and 23.2 gb Hard Drive

Thnx guys I really need a new card, hope comp can accept it!

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

Thank you thank you thank you!

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

5. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

Um, one more question now...

How do I know which slots are the AGP slots, and is there any way I can check to see if the slots aren't being used from some sort of menu on the comp?

Thanks again, youve already helped my hour of problems in like 8 seconds.

6. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

What is an AGP slot? How do I tell if I have one?

An AGP(Accelerated Graphics Port) slot is the place on your motherboard where you plug in a video card. The AGP slot provides the fast connection and bandwidth that your video card needs to communicate with your processor and your display.

If your system shipped with a video card installed, you have an AGP slot. If your system came equipped with "on-board graphics" you may or may not have an AGP slot. To find out for sure, check the documentation that came with your system. If you can't find the answer there, open your case and look at your motherboard. AGP slots are often located near the DIMM slots for your RAM, but are shorter and closer to the processor than the DIMM slots. And, in almost all cases, AGP slots are brown.

7. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

So are the specs that you provided from Yahoo accurate? Because I would like to not have to open my PC until I actually get the card.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    According to several sources on the web there is an AGP slot on your mobo. As to what speed it runs I didn't find it. Could be 4X or 8X You could download Aida32 EE and it should tell you what speed AGp slot you have.

9. RSM123

RSM123

Pengu1029,

You will find it most useful to download AIDA32 - link posted by Longhair.

Once you have - Run the program > click System Icon > click Summary Icon.

You'll get a very detailed profile of all hardware in your PC.

10. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

Okay thanks for all your help guys, I opened my PC and I'm pretty sure I found the slot.

It's a brown slot above 3 white (PCI) slots.

So all u do is plug the video card in and let windows do the rest o_O?

Sorry if my posts sound REALLY ignorant, I'm new to installing things in computers.

11. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

I checked out AIDA and went to chipset and it had the AGP specs, its 1x 2x or 4x. Dunno if that is for something on the chipset, or if its for the actual AGP slot. Anyways, if the slot is only 4x, could I buy this card, http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320456 (its 8x) and use it in the 4x slot?

Thanks a lot guys, you have all been extremely helpful

12. RSM123

RSM123

1)AGP is backwards compatible - it will run at whatever your system will permit.

However you may want to make sure thats the card you want. Not sure of your budget - or whether you're a keen gamer but suggest you go here :

http://www.tomshardware.com - click Graphics Cards in left margin as there are good reviews and benchmarks.

And here :

http://www.newegg.com (Retailers)

Its your money and the card will presumably be to last you - so make sure you get the best deal.

Richard.

13. Pengu1029

Pengu1029 Thread Starter

Yeah I'm actually getting the card to run final fantasy XI, and my budget is like under 100 bucks. I also found a site where its 52 dollars... http://www.hoct.com/evgefmx44064.html but I don't know what 'update to retail box' and the VGUI Adapter thing are for, are these needed o_O?

14. RSM123

RSM123

Regards install -

1)You will need to go into BIOS ... usually hold the Delete key before you power on - hold it down until you get to the Blue Setup Screen - look for Onboard VGA and make sure its DISABLED or it will cause a conflict with your card. Also in BIOS check the AGP Setting. Lastly after making changes select SAVE & EXIT SETUP - YES. It should then boot into Win.

Shutdown and follow the install instructions for the new card.

Note - make sure you shutdown all non essential programs before installing the drivers .... Anti Virus can cause problems if its running in background.

No questions are dumb, if you don't know the answer - ask.

;)

15. RSM123

RSM123

Having checked your link - upgrade to retail .... might just be a fancier box.

Why not email them and get them to clarify exactly what you get as some dealers sell oem cards ie no drivers CD.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/193341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice