1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have i386 or AMD64 architecture?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wicked.ludicrous, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wicked.ludicrous

wicked.ludicrous Thread Starter

I've got a laptop with an Intel Core Duo 2 P8600. Do I have i386 or AMD64?
    I'm pretty sure i have i386, but when I downloaded the 64-bit version for Ubuntu, it has AMD in the title name, which makes me curious. I know that my architecture is 64-bit
    THanks

2. bobbydiaz

bobbydiaz

You have Intel 64, the AMD64 version of ubuntu will work on your machine.

i think its because AMD was the first to introduce 64-bit CPUs to the consumer market, maybe thats why Ubuntu names their 64-bit version AMD64.

3. wicked.ludicrous

wicked.ludicrous Thread Starter

How sure are you that I have AMD64?
    I actually asked this question on Yahoo Answers and one person said that I definitely can't run AMD64...

4. bobbydiaz

bobbydiaz

I am 100% sure you do not have AMD64 but your CPU is x64. AMD64 is the 64-bit version of Ubuntu which will run on Intel or AMD. You can run the OS from the CD without installing it. Give it a try, it wont hurt anything unless you install it without backing up your info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice