1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have to get a new PC or a new chip..ty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tony oh, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Hi,

I had a thread here which concerned games not working correctly with a new graphics card, turns out I was just expecting too much from my pentium 4 cpu (2.93 ghz).

So my question is what could I do to improve the performance without spending £300 to do it.
    Would it be worth buying a pentium D or as I have read would that not improve the gaming situation?

This is from the manufactures homepage:

The Foxconn® RC4107MA-RS2 motherboard is compatible with the following CPUs:

Pentium 4 3xx series:
    326, 330J, 331, 356, 335J, 336, 340J, 341, 345J, 346, 351, 355, 356
    Pentium 4 5xx series:
    505, 506, 511, 515, 516, 519, 520, 521, 530, 530J, 531, 540, 540J, 541, 550, 550J, 551, 560J, 561, 570J, 571
    Pentium 4 6xx series:
    630, 631, 640, 643, 650, 651, 660, 661, 662, 670, 672
    Pentium 4 8xx EE series:
    3.2Ghz/800 (840EE)
    Pentium 4 8xx series:
    805, 820, 830, 840
    Pentium 4 EE Series:
    3.4Ghz/800

System Memory
    The motherboard supports the following memory configuration:

Supports DDR2 533 MHz and 667 MHz SDRAM memory modules
    Accommodates two 1.8V DDR2 240-pin single channel, un-buffered DIMM sockets
    Each slot supports up to 1 GB with a total maximum capacity of 2 GB

As you can see the mobo doesn't support core2duo so to upgrade I would have to buy the new chip, motherboard and then since the o/s came pre-installed, XP, and I only have the recovery disk I would have to buy a new o/s as well. Didn't want to go to vista yet.

Anyone know of a good chip to put on the motherboard I have.

Thanks.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Does the board have a AGP slot and what Video card were you using and how much memory and most important what games do you want to be able to play?

3. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

No it's a pci-express board with a connect3d x1950 pro sitting in the pci-e slot.

Games such as Stalker, test drive unlimited and supreme commander are causing the comp to crash.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/557337-why-does-pc-crash-games.html

Initially I thought I had problems with the graphics card but as you see from the thread above when I did the 3d futuremark 06 while I was getting a score of 1900 for graphics the CPU score was 800.

I went through memtest and made sure the hiper 530 w psu meet the requirements for the gpu.

So it was the CPU (my conclusion anyways) and just wanted to know if there was a decent chip I could fit in the mobo that would give a good performance increase.

Without having to buy the new chip,mobo and o/s.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood.......

supreme commander has a hard time on many PCs with the correct specs and more.

Have you tried running the games at lower settings and see how they run......

Have you checked in Eventviewer for about the time of the crashes

Go Start>>Run type eventvwr.msc and look in System and Applications for any events about the same time usually with red X beside it....click on the event and read what it says and if it has a blue hyper link click on that for more info

5. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

I don't think it's your cpu at all that's causing problems running games. I'm sure your cpu will also pass the system requirements. Your gfx also should be able to run 95% of games at a high level. Do like Bonk suggested and check eventviewer then post back what it says at a known time when it has crashed due to playing one of the problematic games. Hows your temps? Have you looked into this? Power supply should be sufficient but go to bios and look for any fluctuations in the rails anyway. Mainly +12v as this supplies your gfx and cpu.

6. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Hi,

the only red x's are close to the time I was playing games is in the event viewer:
    error servive control manager
    properties

Description
    the following boot-start or system start driver failed to load:
    sptd

error service control manager

Description

The general purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Both of these were under the application part of the event viewer nothing under the system section.

I use a usb external 250gb hdd to play about half the games but most of the games that have crashed are on the main internal 80gb hdd.
    Don't know if this is what your looking for or if it helps.

I can access the bios at start up by pressing DEL but I'm not to sure how I would put the gpu under load in bios to see the voltages.

I'm just not too sure whats causing these crashes:
    eg playing Stalker looking lovely 40 fps and then in not a particularly taxing area(graphically - open area, no ppl or animals and most settings are low anyway) and then the screen goes funny large lines downward and purple block but I could still see the game in the backround. Moved the mouse round the place and then the screen went black and the computer shutdown on it's own and re started.
    This is starting to sound like the last thread should I go back to it.

The same symptoms happen in testdrive and even pro evo soccer 6.
    Well normally it doesn't shutdown I usually exit the game when the screen goes odd. It allows me to open CCC and check the gpu temps and they are only 51 degrees.

The thing that makes me think it's not the gpu is because on tiger woods 07 (where I assume there isn't alot of cpu work but lots of graphics card work to make it look pretty and the grass move and all) the temperatures can reach 57 degrees and no screen mess-up.

7. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Hi,

I was able to run future 3d mark 06 again and I ran it with right mark in the backround.

The CPU score this time was 790, which is down but I was running right mark, and I was only getting 0.5 fps through the cpu test. In right mark at this time the CPU was at 100% load.
    Just after the 3dmark test was finished the gpu temp was only 47 degrees (might be lower than it was at peak due to going on the net to check my results).

If i don't run the 3dmark test straight after start-up it normally crashes with the same symptoms as other games.

Is it time to go back to the shop?

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you checked for any Bios updates........

9. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Hi,

checked for bios updates, installed new chipset from foxconn, ran memtest86, ran prime 95 and checked the voltages in right mark.
    All passed fine.

Found this site http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html and it shows the graphics problems I am getting in games, namely the GPU artifacts shot mixed with the bus artifact picture.

So I am now assuming it's the GPU and am going to take back the card and try a new one (fingers crossed).

I'll let everyone know what the results are in a couple of days (takes the shop a while to order a new one in).

So wish me luck and once again thanks to everyone who spent their time helping me.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/558433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice