1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I have to keep on installing drivers for the same memory sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mike Circuit, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike Circuit

Mike Circuit Thread Starter

Hello :) I have bought quite a lot of those memory sticks/cards that connect via USB , and you can then save your files etc on them. However every time I plug a new one into my computer - I have to then go through an automatic process of connecting online to search for new updates. I would think that it should know what to do once I have installed the driver for the first card.

It is only everytime I use a card for the very first time - but it does seem a bit of a hassle. Is it correct that my computer is doing this?

Thank you very much.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Are these U3 drives?

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What operating systems are running on the computers you're connecting these to, and what makes and models are the drives? I've never had to install drivers on Windows XP or Vista computers for any USB flash drives I've connected.

5. Mike Circuit

Mike Circuit Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies - I am on Windows XP. They are just those small memory stick things - some 2Gb some 4Gb. They connect via USB. I have 3 makes of stick and they all do the same thing. 2 are Toshiba, I am not sure what the other ones are.

6. tmarvi

tmarvi

Which Service Pak are you using currently on WINXP ? SP2 or SP3

If you have SP2, the problem is occuring because your Flash Drives(Memory Sticks according to you) are USB2.0 but you only have USB1.0 on your computer.

Try to update your computer & see if it works.
    http://www.windowsupdate.com

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are they name-brand flash drives? If so, what is the make and model? Or are they generic, no-name devices? If so, did you format them? Is there software installed?

This is not typical behavior.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice