1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I loose my photos if I remove Kodak

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by shebe, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Good Morning,

Got to say, "I _hate_ Kodak software." Ever since we added my mom's camera I can't open a picture up without "Easy Share" forcing itself open and taking over the photo.

I'm thinking of doing an uninstall , but I'm concerned it will mess up the photo's already loaded on my PC.

Does anyone have experience with this problem and have any advice to give. I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

No it won't change them at all.

If you right click on the pictures and view there properties, it will tell you where they are, or it may say something like "Open In Explorer."

3. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

You can probably do a quick copy and paste of your photos to a new folder and then uninstall the Kodak software and see what, if any, changes where made to your previous pics.

4. hewee

hewee

I would also make sure by doing a backup to another folder just to be sure the uninstall does not delete them. It should ask if you want to delete what was added but I don't know for sure.

5. iltos

iltos

your pics will be fine....i deleted that horrendous software, too...taking someone's advice here and using picasa with a card reader (something like 17 bucks from kodak)

6. slipe

slipe

It is very easy to reassign the default viewer so looking at photos doesn’t open EasyShare. If your mom is happy with EasyShare just change the default:
    Right click on an image file in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    “Open With”
    “Choose Program”
    Check to always use this program.
    Select the program you like – maybe the Picture and Fax Viewer.
    OK.

If you have more than one type of image file like maybe JPG and TIFF you will have to do it for each. And if you have them listed as both JPG and JPEG files you usually have to do both.

Removing EasyShare and needing a card reader are either/or things. Most Kodak cameras are PTP and will show as a normal drive if you remove EasyShare. So you can access like any other camera and don’t need a card reader. If you leave EasyShare on the computer it is nice to have a card reader if you want to access the card directly to do things like put photos back on the card to have them printed.

I removed EasyShare from a friend’s computer and the computer didn’t dump the files. It is a conservative approach to copy them to another folder before the uninstall. I found the photos downloaded by EasyShare in Documents and Settings > All Users > Shared Documents > Shared Pictures > Kodak. I copied them to My Pictures before uninstalling. I don’t think it a good idea to ever “move” pictures – either from the card or within the computer. I’ve seen too many “where did my pictures go” posts.

You don’t need any program to download from a card reader or camera that shows as a drive. Programs like Picasa that want to take over your pictures are barely a step above EasyShare. Even programs that aren’t intrusive are just an extra step when you could copy directly from the card to a folder.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But - if you are "worried about losing" the photos, that implies that you do not have a copy backed up to CD and stored somewhere?

The hard drive is one of the most failure prone parts of your PC, any data that you do not have at least 2 copies of and stored separately from the computer is data that you do not care about. Please consider backing up all precious photos...

8. ferrija1

ferrija1

Yes, definitely. (y)

9. LaMujer

LaMujer

I don't have the EasyShare program. My friend (several states away and not very computer literate) uses it, however, and wants to use Picasa as well. Is there a way for her to change the destination folder for the photos she downloads via her camera dock so that they go to My Pictures instead of the EasyShare default above? As it stands, Picasa doesn't automatically find her photos, and telling her how to include the Kodak folder in Picasa's "watched folders" might be the more difficult solution.
    Many thanks!

10. slipe

slipe

LaMujer
    After trying my alternatives my friends had me put EasyShare back on their computer. The only reason I removed it is that it seems to slow their computer. I had already moved the photos to My Pictures so I just set EasyShare to put them there in the future. I don’t have EasyShare on my computer so I can’t give exact instructions. But it wasn’t rocket science. There was a place in the settings to tell it where you wanted the photos stored.

EasyShare is really a good program for someone who doesn’t want to get into the nuts and bolts. That is especially true with a cradle. My friend just pushes the download button on the cradle and everything is automatic. EasyShare makes a folder named with the current date and puts the photos in it. With them sent to My Pictures rather than buried deep in Documents and Settings they are easy to access.

EasyShare will also upload any pictures you choose (or all of them) to an online site like Snapfish where others can view the pictures and prints can be easily ordered. It defaults to uploading to a Kodak site, but again it isn’t rocket science to change that. The Kodak site isn’t bad, but prints are only 12c each from Snapfish.

It isn’t a good idea to use Picasa with EasyShare. EasyShare blocks Kodak cameras from showing as a drive, so Picasa has a hard time accessing photos on the camera. Since they are both organization programs they work at cross purpose. If there are editing functions on Picasa your friend prefers to EasyShare there are other freeware programs that are more competent than either.

11. LaMujer

LaMujer

Thanks for you reply, slipe! I'm confident there is a place in the EasyShare settings to designate a different folder for photos, but I'm looking for the specific steps for my friend. I know that having EasyShare installed prohibits the camera showing as a drive, but I'd hope once the photos were already on the hard drive that Picasa would be able to work with them. I will not advise my friend to try another program, as that is beyond her skills. She leaves her camera in the docking station for recharging, using the button for downloading, as you described. I doubt she needs features beyond those provided by EasyShare.

Thanks again for the information!

12. notgoodatthis

notgoodatthis

Hi Shebe. Saw your post after doing a google search and HAD to chime in (had to join first!) Let me put it to ya'll this way, what I put in for my google search was 'kodak software taking over computer'. Anybody know what I mean? This %# software seems to be running in the background all the time and if somebody emails a picture to me, the software hijacks it and I can't find it. It slows my computer down and even using the task manager, it's hard to shut it down. I would LOVE to get rid of this software completely but wasnt' sure that I could still use my easy share camera. I'm very technology-challenged (that user name seems to have been already taken) as you can tell by my user name..... Plain, very basic, very remedial advice please!!!!! (p.s. This is my very first post and very first forum so please be gentle and patient with me!)

13. slipe

slipe

Kodak has a utility to clear everything after you uninstall the software. First go Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Find EasyShare and uninstall it. Then get the clear utility here and run it: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/serv...tility.jhtml?pq-path=10912&CID=go&idhbx=clear

Most Kodak cameras will operate as normal PTP devices after you get EasyShare completely removed from the computer. The camera should act as a separate drive when connected. You can download directly from the camera or use an intermediate program.

Picasa seems to be an intermediate step for the technically challenged. It is much better and simpler IMO to put your photos where you want them, but people who consider My Computer their Windows file system seem to do OK with Picasa. http://picasa.google.com/

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice