1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do i need a bios upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by B1u3, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

hello, i was wondering if some one could tell me if i need an bios upgrade..

i read something that some bios only support 147gb of hard drive space, i have just installed a new 160gb hd and have added my old one to make 75gb of extra storage..

i used the bios agent, i dont know if i should send it to esupport, or call them.. heres what it says:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.55
    BIOS Date: 08/28/01
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    BIOS ID: 08/28/2001-I845 -P4B
    OEM Sign-On: 3.05
    Chipset: Intel 1A30 rev 3
    Superio: NSC 366 rev 10 found at port 2Eh
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 1600 Mhz MAX: 2400 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: No
    BIOS ROM Size: 512K
    Memory Installed: 1024 MB
    Memory Maximum: 3072 MB
    Memory Slot 01: 512 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 03: 256 MB

any help would be great.

thanks-

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Windows XP SP2 should allow you to recognise drives over 137GB, regardless of the BIOS (at least, I think so...).

Try to connect it first. If it doesn't accept the full amount of space, then let us know.

BIOS updates, if done incorrectly or incomplete, can leave your computer, for all intents and purposes, dead.

3. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

thanks for the fast reply,

i have it installed right now, infact i installed it 2 days ago, it does however say that i have 149gb, when its a 160gb hd.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Yep. That's because of the difference between how computers and humans calculate drive space. I'm going to go nerdy on you for a minute...

When most people think of 160GB, you'd think of 160000000000 bytes. But, you divide that by 1073741824 (2 to the power of 30 = 1GB) and it is about 149GB. Check it on a calculator if you like.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The 149 is correct.
    All HDD are sold using "decimal" GB, Windows reports "Binary" GB.

160 GB decimal / 1.024 /1.024 /1.024 = 149 GB binary

It's called "marketing"

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Snap!

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Gah! You beat me!

I had to waffle on, didn't I...

8. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

wow! i didnt even think it would be like that, thanks for the info..

so i dont need an upgrade? and if i do, how would i go about doing so?

thanks agian for your help.

9. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Not a problem. It's a bit of a wrought when you think about it, eh?

It's not all that important to get a BIOS upgrade, I don't think. Other people may have different ideas, though.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

With any BIOS upgrade there is a definite % chance it will go wrong, that will often/usually turn your motherboard into a doorstop, from an economic perspective.

The golden rule with a BIOS update is, do not apply it unless it is to correct a problem which actually affects you, and for which the BIOS upgrade has a stated fix.

It's not a recreational activity. No performance benefits are usually gained.

11. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

Thank you both for the awnser,

im glad i dont need one.. by any chance, could you tell me what would happen if i needed one.. just incase i might have a problem and need to know what is wrong.

12. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Problems that would require a BIOS upgrade generally affect the workings of the motherboard, such as reading amounts of RAM, RAM compatibility, CPU compatibility, reading hard drive sizes (as you know)...buggered if I know what else.

I'm just guessing here, but the problems would be very serious.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It is interesting that the BIOS date of 08/28/01 is prior to most versions being upgraded to support larger than 127gig drives. I'm wondering if drive overlay software was installed to make this system recognize the larger drive?

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not true. The BIOS and Windows are both required to recognize the large disk. 3rd party Drive Overlay programs like On-Track can also allow a machine with older BIOS versions to use larger disks, but I usually recommend against them. They will cause you big issues in many data recovery scenarios.

15. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

well i dont really know if i installed an overlay, i tried using seagate disc wizzard to add windows, but it never would load, so i booted with windows and erased the partion it made, and installed windows. maby it dod some overlay? and on my old drive i used it to remove an "oed" somthing, i think it mihgt be overlay on the old one, and erased it with a nuke, and then i used the disc wizard to added it to my system for more storage.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice