1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need a more powerful network card?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hotskates, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

My laptop came with this card: Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card, and I am getting terrible internet reception on this computer. The reception is only "fair" when I am 3 rooms away from where the router is. When I take the laptop to the room where the router is the reception is "great". I was wondering if I bought this Belkin network card to slide into the empty slot on this computer if that would have any better reception?

The Belkin I'm thinking of is this one:
    Belkin F5D7010 Wireless-G 54Mbps PC-Card Notebook Adapter

--or is there a more powerful network card?

**I've already discussed (in another thread) putting the router in the attic but I want to first see if this would work.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The power of the adapter is of little importance. The antenna (built into the case) of the integrated adapter is likely much better than the one in a Notebook card, so you would gain nothing, and lose convenience and probably reception. Unless you use your laptop mostly as a desktop replacement an external antenna would be inconvenient so I would suggest that you concentrate on the router.

Can you move the router closer? Search this forum for one of JohnWill's frequent posts on hi-gain or directional antennas.

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

TerryNet...........I knew you'd say that ;) Guess I'll have to re-think getting the router up into the attic.

I had my fingers crossed though that maybe there was a super powerful network card out there:rolleyes: I had to try! Thanks:)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    802.11n (still draft) devices have much greater range; but I think you'd have to get a router for the advantage, and walls may still be too much of an obstruction for it w/o a better antenna.

Maybe somebody knows if a 802.11n card with a 'g' router is any advantage for range.

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

I don't think so. You are correct. If anybody wants to reap the benefits of an 'N' card, they would need an 'N' router. But also please keep in mind that this is only from what I have read so far.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Consider increasing the signal at the router end.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

7. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Or would a card like this maybe be more powerful?
    NETGEAR WPN511 RangeMax Wireless-G MIMO PC-Card Notebook Adapter

I'll look into increasing the router signal and I'll look into antennas too.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice