1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need a new CD-ROM drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Farmgirl22, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22 Thread Starter

I have a MacBook Pro which I bought refurbed. I've had a couple of things go wrong with it, but they were fixed with no questions asked, and I've still got the warranty if I need it.

So anyway, on to the problem! I'm running parallels with Windows XP on it--prior to today, I'd never had any trouble with the CD ROM...however, I'm not even sure if I've used the CD ROM drive since I switched from Bootcamp over to Parallels (Since I no longer have Bootcamp, I can't even test it on there).

I can't get the disk to eject even on the native OS (Mac OSX) and OSX doesn't even recognize that there IS a disk. It runs, slows WAAAAAAYYYY down, then stops, makes a bit of a screeching noise, and starts to spin again. It's very loud (has been since I got it).

This is NOT a burned disk, it's a factory Microsoft disk (Age of Empires II), it's not too scratched up (although I'm concerned it might be when I finally get it back out of the disk drive :( ), and I really don't know what else to say. I "disconnected" it from Parallels and then rebooted Parallels--for some reason this made iTunes go beserk!!--but it didn't make any difference.

OH! The error message I get while trying to load the game is this: Windows cannot find a CD in the D: drive-->this gives me three choices: Cancel, Try Again, Continue. All of these choices except "Cancel" give me an "Autoplay" dialog box that just does that flashlight searching thing...the other two options merely wait a minute before popping up the same "cannot find CD" message.

I hope I've given enough information to help you guys figure out the problem...I was really looking forward to playing my game today, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get the chance...:( Thanks for your help!!

2. Farmgirl22

B.u.m.p.!!! :)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I know nothing of Macs, but usually when a CD-ROM is assigned to a virtual machine, it takes over control of that drive and the host OS can no longer access it. Can OSX access the drive when Parallels is not running?

Also, check your settings inside Parallels. If the game was originally installed from the D: drive and you have chosen to share your E: drive, for example, it won't be able to find D: for the game. The drive the game is played from has to have the same drive letter as the one it was installed from.

4. Farmgirl22

OK, I haven't checked my settings inside parallels yet, however....I have put a disk in the cd drive, and looked on my finder (in OSX with Parallels turned off) to see if it's being read on there. The disk is not showing up at all--this is a totally different disk, because I wanted to be absolutely sure it wasn't just that the disk wasn't being read because of incompatibility. The disk would spin for about 1 minute, and now the drive is silent again. But my finder never did acknowledge there was a disk in the drive, even though it ejected it just fine...this time.

I'm seriously thinking I should call Apple and have them come get it. I think it needs some fixing.

5. Farmgirl22

I called Apple...they jerked me around for about an hour, and finally "decided" that there was nothing wrong with my Optical Drive and therefore it must be a problem with Parallels--despite the fact that while I was on the phone with them trying all those disks (6 I believe, ALL on the Mac side because Parallels was shut off) only 2 of those 6 worked...One of them was the Mac Restore disk, and the other was a DVD that wasn't working in there the other day. It spun two of the disks for about 15 seconds and then just up and ejected them without ever registering that there was a disk there, and the others just spun and never showed up (and then didn't want to eject.

Can someone PLEASE tell me HOW that constitutes a problem with Parallels? When Parallels isn't even RUNNING?!?! :mad: And if it isn't the optical drive (which apparently means it's NOT the CD drive) what exactly is it?

I'm sorry...this is just VERY frustrating, and I'm highly annoyed....I finally just told the woman (as politely as I could muster) "thank you, have a nice day", and hung up. I'm wondering if they are trying to refuse to fix it because I've had a couple of rather expensive LARGE problems with this computer and they have spent more between shipping and repairing it than I would have paid for the protection plan like 3x over.

6. Farmgirl22

OK, so I got an idea, and now I'm in trouble....:( I put in one of those lens cleaning CD's for like CD players and it's making weird noises and won't eject the disk. I'm guessing I may have really screwed it up now! :( :( :(

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Doesn't sound good. Actually, it sounds like there was already a CD in the drive.:(

8. Farmgirl22

I finally got it out, but I had to hard eject it (restart it and hold the mouse key)...as far as I know there isn't another disk in there :eek: I really don't know what to do with it. I'm at my wit's end. What could possibly be wrong with it? And how am I going to get it fixed when Apple refuses to take the darn thing? :( :(

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there anything special about the drive, like the shape of its face, or anything like that that makes it unique? If not, and the face is probably removable anyway, just get a new drive and replace it, since they are pretty much all the same.

10. Farmgirl22

Yeah, it's completely internal. It's just a slot on the outside that you push the disk into. It doesn't always like to take disks either until they are like almost on the inside already, so you kinda have to "force" it in. I've been telling Apple that since I got it, but since they haven't acknowledged the problem, I'd assumed that they were supposed to be that way.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice